Does a kedel with STSS storage tank make sense?

TimCroft Posted By TimCroft, Nov 23, 2017 at 8:41 PM

1. TimCroft

TimCroft
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2009
    Loc:
    Hudson valley NY
    I am thinking about switching to pellet heat.. I have a 10 year old Tarm XL2000 wood boiler. I have gone from cutting, splitting and hauling to paying and stacking and now pellets are looking very attractive.
    I have a 660 gal STSS buffer tank with DHW coil which allowed me to run a full load of wood thru the Tarm and charg the tank for a day of heat in the coldest weather in my 2000 square foot home in upstate NY.
    I am thinking that I could just install a Kedel 100K unit and run the output into the STSS tank, eliminating any modulating and running the boiler at maximum output until the tank is up to temp.

I also want to do my own install as I did with the Tarm. Following Tarm's guidelines I have everything in place including return water temp protection so the pellet boiler should plug right in . Does Kedel sell direct to consumers?

Any thoughts?

2. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    You should have posted this in the boiler forum,perhaps a mod will move it for you.

3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I don't see why not; you're looking for plug and play.
    I believe there're several on the forum who've installed Kedel boilers.
    I can recommend Windhager. I installed mine. Contact: marc@windhagerusa.com

4. TimCroft

TimCroft
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2009
    Loc:
    Hudson valley NY
    How was the complexity of the install? The Tarm manual was very detailed. The Windhager look like NASA controls compared to the Tarm. Did you find it easy to wire up? That would be my concern. Hard to find any prices online for Windhagers

5. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    i repeated my earlier response in your other thread. Let's abandon this thread and continue there.