Does a Tarm install require its own dedicated circuit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
I am cleaning up the wiring and controls on my system. In reading the manual the only thing I can find is this quote:

"The electrical system of the boiler shall be supplied from a single branch circuit"

I don't read that to mean that it can be the only thing on my circuit, it seems to be saying that I can't, for example, power the tarm of one circuit and the circulators off of another...or am I reading that wrong?

I'd like to run both the oil boiler and the tarm off the same one, since that circuit is already wired to the backup power panel for a generator (and they would never be running at the same time)

So what is the right way? If the manual doesn't state otherwise, I guess I should follow code...so what does code require? Two dedicated circuits? one for the tarm, and one for the oil burner? They share a lot of circuitry, i.e. all the zone valves and transformers.

I installed all my heating system on one circuit with no problems,including circulators. I would not worry about it at all.

I wired as NHF did and you are considering. However in MA they are usually looking for dedicated circuits for "major appliances" that's code. However I would make sure that you have the thermo-couple cut out above both appliances. My boilers are in basement so I need a upstairs emergency oil boiler switch, this will shut off both my units. Both units have their own shut off switches, at the appliance, those are considered service disconnect switches, and lastly low water cut offs, LWC's.
There's also some thing that has to do with X square footage of fire proofing above these appliances. 5/8" sheet rock.
Probably missed some stuff for this list too !
Rob

I believe NEC code it to have each on it's own circuit. One way to get around this is to have each appliance on its own over current protection. Use a separate fuse to protect each appliance, pump, control, etc. If one part fails, you may still be able to use the rest of the system if not a vital part.

Status
Not open for further replies.