Does a TV tower count in the 10 and 2 rule?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bullyboy

Burning Hunk
Apr 8, 2017
Central Ontario
This is just curiosity but if a chimney ran vertical up the side of a house right beside a tv tower does this count as structure? A friend was talking about a possible future install and it got me to thinking. The tower isn't even used for tv signal anymore. Much like most rural folk in Canada we are relegated to satellite internet service, I'm guessing the tower would only be 6 to 8ft from the possible exit point of the chimney out of the basement and would probably be roughly 6 to 8ft higher then the chimney cap. Come to think of it this could be in my future as well!

This is just curiosity but if a chimney ran vertical up the side of a house right beside a tv tower does this count as structure? A friend was talking about a possible future install and it got me to thinking. The tower isn't even used for tv signal anymore. Much like most rural folk in Canada we are relegated to satellite internet service, I'm guessing the tower would only be 6 to 8ft from the possible exit point of the chimney out of the basement and would probably be roughly 6 to 8ft higher then the chimney cap. Come to think of it this could be in my future as well!
It is metal and pretty open I don't think you have to worry about it

Same situation here- rural Ontario and wireless internet. My transceiver tower is about 8 feet away from chimney and never had any issues.
The tower is a great way to get on the roof!

Same situation here- rural Ontario and wireless internet. My transceiver tower is about 8 feet away from chimney and never had any issues.
That’s great to hear. Ya, you can’t beat a tv tower for a quick chimney check. No fussing with ladders.

Yeah I use them all the time

Reactions: Bullyboy