Does anyone know about built in wood burning furnaces from the 80s???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BRamm

Nov 29, 2019
BRamm
BD2BC4F1-179A-4675-BFF3-FE11A5C20228.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by a built in furnace?

What do you mean by a built in furnace?
The serial data tag says it’s a “fireplace furnace”. I may have worded it wrong. Looking down at it without the grating installed, it looks to be a free standing wood burning furnace enclosed in the chimney cavity open on both sides with glass doors. Above the grating is a slab of concrete where the chimney pipe goes up through.

Never seen or even heard of one. What make and model

Roughly 4ft wide. Has a large heat dampener, 10” chimney. I’ll post some more pictures next couple days

You figure anything out with this. I have the same fireplace, I do have the directions on how to use it, but not sure it's working the way it's supposed to. Seems like the heat from the top vent doesn't flow out the way I think it should

Not to hijack but back before I was serious about burning wood, I bought a vacation home that had a furnace with fuel oil/wood burn ability. Might have been called a Yukon?
I had it replaced for the renters....Wish I would have kept it when it was removed.

Not to hijack but back before I was serious about burning wood, I bought a vacation home that had a furnace with fuel oil/wood burn ability. Might have been called a Yukon?
I had it replaced for the renters....Wish I would have kept it when it was removed.
I work on lots of Yukons in this area. Be glad you didn't keep it.

I work on lots of Yukons in this area. Be glad you didn't keep it.
The renters weren't using the wood option and that's probably a good thing. But dang, fuel oil, like propane ain't cheap to say the least.

Just found this... In 10 seconds....SMH
yukon.png

Last edited:
The renters weren't using the wood option and that's probably a good thing. But dang, fuel oil, like propane ain't cheap to say the least.

Just found this... In 10 seconds....SMH
The fact that they made no effort to meet standards killed it. They had 5 years notice and did nothing

That's so cute how you can put their entire 42 year effort into a dismissive 11 word sentence.
Their effort consisted of designing a furnace 42 years ago and making the same thing the whole time. No innovation or advancement.

Sounds like someone got old and wanted to retire. Apparently, they didn't find anyone wanting to invest in the company or to buy it. This happens all the time in every industry.

Meyers Manufacturing did the same thing with Woodchuck furnace they got out of the wood burning industry to focus on there main business AG equipment.