Does anyone use borates on their woodpiles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenTN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2015
East TN
So I have access to Timbor, a borate compound used in the milling and lumber industry. The firewood for the needy mission I volunteer with uses it on all the stacks. It seems this stuff keeps the stack free of bugs and rot. We loaded a face cord the other day for a gentleman and was no signs of bugs or rot. These stacks sit directly on the ground uncovered in full sun for one year before we give it out.

Does anyone else use this stuff. I am all about keeping bugs out of the house, less squealing from the wife and daughter. I don't know the cost as the manufacturer is local and supports the mission with donations.

http://nisuscorp.com/architects/products/tim-bor-professional

Last edited:
I have never had the need to treat my stacks, yes some bugs do make them home, but usually they vacate after a year because the wood gets to dry for them to keep calling my stacks home. The most I get is the occasional spider, or I hit an occasional mouse nest, no big deal in my book.

I have been hesitant to use it at my house due to my shroom logs are pretty close to the stacks and this stuff kills fungi. I do get a lot of spiders and wasps in my piles, and it would be nice not to have to deal with those. I guess it is best suited in our open stacks directly on the ground. It does seem to eliminate the need for pallets or elevation of some sort.

I know some borates are used as fire retardants but I guess there are different kinds.

From Borax.com "Fire Retarding: Borates are used as fire retardants for polymers and cellulosic materials, such as cotton batting, wood, and cellulose insulation. Specialized borate compounds, such as zinc borates, are used as fire retardants and smoke suppressant additives in polymers."

I do spray my crawl space with Borax to keep spiders and other bugs out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.