Does this new stove Volgelzang look like the old West Point?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH

Attachments

• Vogelzang.jpg
    Vogelzang.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 281
Its only rated at 48K BTU's, West point was 70K IIRC.

Edit: vogelzang lists as 65K while TSC info says 48K? ;hm

Hudson river didn't actually manufacture any of their stoves. Present stoves are now made by Sherwood Industries. Makers of Enviro-VistaFlame- Regency units.

The other one VZ is coming out with has remote control. Both stoves are listed on the VZ website as "coming soon".

Hudson river didn't actually manufacture any of their stoves. Present stoves are now made by Sherwood Industries. Makers of Enviro-VistaFlame- Regency units.

X2, the updated control board that I put in a West Point had a Jumper for 50k, 60k or 70k BTU. When set on 70k BTU the high limit switch would pop on the higher heat settings. Maybe the shell is similar and a control board designed for 50K BTU is used. The US Stove 5660 is the same shell as the Saranac but the control board is a very different Chinese made board. The American made control boards seem to have gone through many improvements and updates.

Yeah, definitely no tubes for a heat exchanger and a new control board. The burnpot also appears different but I would have to see one in person to verify.

I never had mine overheat on high although I never used it on that setting for mire than an hour. Level 3 is as high as I set it, and even then it cycles to low more often than not.

Where do you get this from? are you saying ALL American made boards?

No definately not all American boards have gone thru the updates. Napoleon NP45 which has their Rev A fist generation digital board can use a few updates from what I heard!

I am rebuilding an HHT Danson Glowboy right now with a generation 1 Accutron II (theold green back color board), does not even have the auto modes in the chipset. The Accutron II - Gen 2 or Rev B boards do and with the T-Sat module work in on/off or hi/lo. The Accutron 4 boards that I deal with now are pretty solid and are downwardly compatible with the older machines and have the T-Stat capability built in. The price jumped when HHT took over. :-(

No definately not all American boards have gone thru the updates. Napoleon NP45 which has their Rev A fist generation digital board can use a few updates from what I heard!

I am rebuilding an HHT Danson Glowboy right now with a generation 1 Accutron II (theold green back color board), does not even have the auto modes in the chipset. The Accutron II - Gen 2 or Rev B boards do and with the T-Sat module work in on/off or hi/lo. The Accutron 4 boards that I deal with now are pretty solid and are downwardly compatible with the older machines and have the T-Stat capability built in. The price jumped when HHT took over. :-(
Your telling me. Danson used to have pretty reasonable parts prices. Once HHT took them over most things just about doubled in price some things more than doubled. And The Auger Shaft used to include a couple of the connectors and now it is just the shaft at twice the price.

Your telling me. Danson used to have pretty reasonable parts prices. Once HHT took them over most things just about doubled in price some things more than doubled. And The Auger Shaft used to include a couple of the connectors and now it is just the shaft at twice the price.

Talk about getting the shaft! We are all getting it!

Edit: vogelzang lists as 65K while TSC info says 48K? ;hm

2X

Hello

Saw it in person today so here are some pics!

Nowhere in the manual does it say how many BTUs this is!

So I finally read the Tractor Supply sign. Approx 65,000 BTUs ! ! ! LOL

Click pics to Enlarge - Nice remote T-Stat for included in the price!

Attachments

• IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1957.JPG
    IMG_1957.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1958.JPG
    IMG_1958.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1959.JPG
    IMG_1959.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1960.JPG
    IMG_1960.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1961.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1964.JPG
    IMG_1964.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1965.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I see they siliconed some of the problem areas. And hopefully fixed the burnpit issue by that design. Is that the same size blower as mine? I wonder if I could use that as a replacement. Probably quieter than the one I have with the updated design.

Is that the same size blower as mine?

If the blower has the same mounting flange, it should fit. The shell looks the same, if it is the same, then the blower should fit. It even has the round magnetic latches for the side doors!

The only way to tell for sure is to try their blower.

My manual says the West Point is 55-60k btus.

Was looking at the parts list. Looks like the igniter,exhaust blower and convection blower are from the 5660. Auger motor is from a slew of other us stove pellet stoves.

I will have to go down to tractor supply and get some measurements. I think I could use these parts as replacements in the event my dealer is out if stock or gauging in the event I need something.

I am interested in the side mounted convection blower. Bet it's more quiet than the top mounted one I have.

Most of those guts do look familiar to my 5660.

I received the new style blower as a warranty upgrade. Huge difference for the better. The new one is very quiet without all that metallic bearing screaming nonsense. I used to dread running the stove on #1 setting. I tried re-crimping the motor can, hose clamps around both ends, took the impeller out and re-balanced it. All worked temporarily but eventually the racket would come back.

I received the new style blower as a warranty upgrade. Huge difference for the better. The new one is very quiet without all that metallic bearing screaming nonsense. I used to dread running the stove on #1 setting. I tried re-crimping the motor can, hose clamps around both ends, took the impeller out and re-balanced it. All worked temporarily but eventually the racket would come back.

Yeah, I hear ya....mine on low drives me a little nuts....whatever frequency it is hits a nerve. Doesn't bother the wife though....if it lines right up I may swap it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.