Dolmar big bore kits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burningbill

Mar 16, 2009
southeast ct
Has anyone tried the big bore kits offered for the Dolmar 6400-7900 & Makita 6401-7900? They advertise 85CCand the cost is only about $148 including the cost of tools and gaskets. I saw a video of one on you tube and it was really ripping through wood. I would love to try the kit out if I could get a used Home Depot rental 6401 on sale for $200-225. I did hea the kit is made in China so I wonder about reliability and how much damage it would do to the saw if the piston blew apart. I have a stock 7900 that I could run against to get a good idea of how they compare. I will not mod the 7900, it is too new to risk blowing apart.

I have tried to buy a rental HD 6401 unit and they thought I was nuts. May end up buying a new 6401 and then if it ever runs out of steam going with the big block. The OEM 7900 kit is only about 250$ if the china thing bothers you and whats 6cc anyway?

I think I recall seeing some positive comments about the Baileys big-bore kit on Arboristsite, including one of their members that was doing development / testing on the prototype. I don't know that I'd tear apart a working saw to put one in, but I'd definitely consider it if I were replacing the existing P&C;for some reason...

Gooserider

Good find wet1. I wouldn't mess with an aftermarket 85cc kit when an OEM Dolmar 79CC kit was so inexpensive and you know that the powerhead was designed for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.