Don’t put off cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
Just a reminder folks.

I put off cleaning my USSC 6500. Really I was kinda experimenting to see how long it would go without issue.

The burn pot/chamber on mine stays clean in general. I pull the dampener and ash doors every couple days and whatever ash there is falls into the ash pan below.

The last 4-5 days I noticed my glass was getting dirty faster, but when looking at the burn pot it was still staying low and burning well.

It was fine when I went to bed Friday. Looked at it Saturday morning and the burn pot was completely full of ash and half burnt pellets. It turned for the worst really fast.

The worst part is cleaning it when it gets like that. The pot is full of embers, so it takes the stove hours to shut down. Then even after it finally does there are still some small smoking embers. Everything is still hot. Just a royal pain.

So the moral of the story is that if your stove starts to show little signs of being dirty, clean it!!

Good news is that after a good cleaning it is back to burning well.