Don't need no stinking pellets...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
According to the just realeased John Deer Financials.grain price predictions, based on market strengths, , Corn, Wheat and Soybeans will continue their downward spiral through the end of 2015, levelling off around $3.45 / bu nationally in corn producing states...

Great for multifuel stove users that can burn corn as opposed to pellets or hulled wheat and soybeans in moderation (mixed with other fuels because the oil content of soybeans precludes burnung them unmixed.

No pellet shortage at this house next year......

Reactions: mustangwagz
Well it's not in the bin yet and Russia stopped exports of wheat. Still draught conditions in South America. Local elevator price of corn $3.50 . Local farmers trying to hold out for higher $$ and hoping for something north of $4

id buy a bushel of corn for 4 bucks...hell thats cheaper then a bag of pellets! lol

id buy a bushel of corn for 4 bucks...hell thats cheaper then a bag of pellets! lol
56 pounds to a bushel. The negative is that corn is usually around 13-15 percent moisture. Can explain some users and blenders get a black sticky stove.

I switched back to corn in the St Croix. I paid $3.32/ bu. st croix burns corn great. It just dont like being left on level 1 for extended period of time ( 24 hr or longer). It will start to get sticky. I have it on a stat so it cycles from 1-3 on a regular bases and burns great. white- tan ash.

What's the minimum burn rate of the Lancaster? Min. burn for the Auburn is 16k. If I were to keep it I would have to have a window open in the garage.

Well it's not in the bin yet and Russia stopped exports of wheat. Still draught conditions in South America. Local elevator price of corn $3.50 . Local farmers trying to hold out for higher $$ and hoping for something north of $4

Won't happen ($4.00/bu + corn) again for a long time simply because the overall global market is oversaturated and the yields per acre are way up due to better inputs and genetically superior seed corn. Technology has a way of increasing performance...of everything.

I farm, I know. $7.00/bu corn is gone and it won't be returning in the forseeable future..

I understand loical farmers tanking corn and holding out for a higher price, I did the same, but at some point this winter, tanking cost (storage fees) will offset the gain so it will be sell it.... and corn has a definite viable storage life. Really old corn tanked, only has one good use.... stove fuel.:) At least we have the gummit malking up the difference in crop insurance, you see, farmers like 'entitlement' just as much as everyone else....

Old corn looses it's nutritive value and processing value but stoves don't care.........

Deere is not only forecasting a reduction in farm equipment sales as it relates to ctop production, Caterpillar is forecasting a reduction as well, due to Tier 4 final mandates. Most operators I know won't touch a Tier 4 final tractor and I won't either.

Thank the 'greenies' for it.

Reactions: mustangwagz
Did not help that between MN and ND 2 million acres of CRP were put into crops. If those acres get put back it would speed up the price increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.