Door gasket ends frayed Drolet 1800i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Hi Everyone,

Second break in fire on my Drolet 1800i. The paint got hot enough to stick to the gasket and burn off the taped wrapped door gasket ends. What is the best way to address this.

Thanks evan

5AC89E7A-B641-4AF1-B6A2-1A61DA115D7D.jpeg

I had the exact same thing happen on my Escape 1500 break in fire. After the fire, I opened the door and the gasket ends were stuck to the firebox. I contacted SBI and they sent me a replacement gasket kit. That was fine, but I was hoping that they would address the issue of the tape sticking. Maybe they did internally. They did not communicate that to me.
In the meantime, I cut small pieces from a section of gasket I had from another stove. I filled the gap with those.
When I replace the gasket, I may place the joint at the top of the door. That way any air that could leak at the joint would be mixed with the hot primary air as it washes over the glass. If I need to use tape on the ends, I think I will use something like masking tape with a lighter adhesive.

Escape 1500 new.jpg Escape 1500 gasket 1.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P