Door Open Ambience Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old School

Burning Hunk
Jul 15, 2015
Georgia
On cool evenings when the full heating power of the insert is not needed we would like to be able to open the double doors of our insert and enjoy the fire like an open fireplace. The problem is with the doors open the fire dies down and just smolders. I assume this is due to the air coming in above the fire and up the liner. My question is would using a grate just for these occasions improve the burn or is this just not going to be an option. With the doors closed stove works perfectly and I would not use a grate. Only considering it for those cool evenings or when having company for the ambience.

0ecf2e8176002dcc68e1fa699208b88a.jpg

Ps the stove has a built in grate flat on the bottom and pulls air through the adjustment on the ash pan but I leave it full of ash or it brings in too much air and limits burn times so that grate is of no benefit for open door burning. I assume it is designed this way so it can also use coal.

Last edited:
Answered my own question. Built a small test fire this evening using the old grate I used to use in the fireplace and it is working perfectly.

f272ea22ecc40099bb2c122add96a989.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.