Double wall stove pipe effect on heat output (is there any?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Hey All,

I was running single wall stove pipe and I’m converting to double wall. The single wall kicked out what felt like a lot of heat. Will I get less heat in the house with double wall?

I’m a little concerned because my stove with single wall was keeping up on cold days only if ran at full blast. I hope the transition to double wall won’t cause it to be slightly under sized.

Reactions: LEAK
What stove was in prior and what is the new stove?

Yes, less of the flue heat will make it to the room. I think it’s worth the loss. Maybe time for a bigger stove if that loss is enough to matter.

What stove was in prior and what is the new stove?

Same stove as always, hearthstone green mountain 40. Being a Hybrid I would think the flue temps are not super high any way. But as I said before I have to crank it to get the house warm enough on the coldest days and I’m worried with the double wall that problem may be worse.

Ah, nevermind. Somehow I thought you were upgrading to a bigger stove. Have you measured the temp on the singlewall when the stove was burning strong?

The best thing to do now is to seal up the house better and reduce leakage. That can easily balance things out. If you can figure how to better seal and maybe insulate the floor, that can make a big difference.

Last edited: