Draft Adjustment for Harman P68/Absolute63

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cyb33r

Jan 3, 2019
Idaho
I am purchasing a Harman P68 for my basement and the Absolute 63 for the first floor of my house. I have a very large farm house and we get to negative 30. My dealer said he does not do the draft adjustments. I would like to make sure everything is adjusted correctly when they are installed next week. I read both install manuals and it shows you where the "draft adjustment screw location" is but dont explain how to connect to it. I purchased a magnahelic 0 to 1 inch wc gauge. Do I need tubing to hook up to the stove? or a probe? Do I use the high or low pressure port on the magnahelic?

The manual seems to cover the rest once I get the gauge hooked up. I apologize if this is a stupid question. I am spending a lot of money and want the stoves to run the best they can.

Thanks for your help.

We may want to look for a different dealer if he doesn't do the draft adjustments. I don't have a Harmon but when my stove was set up they did all the adjustments according to my set up.

We may want to look for a different dealer if he doesn't do the draft adjustments. I don't have a Harmon but when my stove was set up they did all the adjustments according to my set up.

I really want Harman stoves and I live in a very rural area. There is no other dealers for at least 200 miles. I just wanted to know what parts I would need to adjust the draft myself so I can do it while they are setting things up.

the draft for the stove is set from the factory and automatically adjusts with the settings, Ive been told to leave it alone unless there is a major issue or cause for concern. I have a P68 and never touch it. its a beast

Yeah I hear what you're saying but if anything goes wrong with the stove do you think the dealer stand up or do you think the dealer will say it must be your draft setting? I hope everything works out for you but all pellet stoves have their problems eventually

Yeah I hear what you're saying but if anything goes wrong with the stove do you think the dealer stand up or do you think the dealer will say it must be your draft setting? I hope everything works out for you but all pellet stoves have their problems eventually

The dealer seems good so far besides this issue. They can sell me parts and I am fairly handy and would be able to install them. I think the main issue is that the dealer is primarily a Quadafire dealer and those stoves do not need to have the draft adjusted. The dealer has access to Harman but most people in this area want a cb1200 and do not want to spend the extra money on Harman.

Get in writing that the dealer will cover “everything” till the factory warranty is up. Is the only way he would sell me a stove.

I really want Harman stoves and I live in a very rural area. There is no other dealers for at least 200 miles. I just wanted to know what parts I would need to adjust the draft myself so I can do it while they are setting things up.

a tiny flat head screwdriver for the adjustment screw hidden on the control panel

Reactions: Cyb33r
I hear guys say a lot “find another dealer”. Sometimes that’s not an option. If the next closest dealer is 200 miles away......do you think he’s gonna make a service call? Not all areas of the country are populated enough to have several dealer options. Sometimes you just gotta work with what’s available.....and sometimes that’s not much.

Kudos to the OP for trying to learn for himself. Many times you find the “dealer” knows less about the product than you do.

My dealer told me the same thing he does not do the adjustment.
I did it myself with the magnehelic I bought on ebay.
I did not find a fitting to screw after the stove but I took a 3/8 '' transparent pipe (tiegun) and it came in tight and tight so I was able to adjust the stove.
The magnehelic must be connected to the low pressure side
I have a p68

My dealer told me the same thing he does not do the adjustment.
I did it myself with the magnehelic I bought on ebay.
I did not find a fitting to screw after the stove but I took a 3/8 '' transparent pipe (tiegun) and it came in tight and tight so I was able to adjust the stove.
The magnehelic must be connected to the low pressure side
I have a p68

You can run a 3/8"-16 UNC die over a brass 1/4" npt male barbed fitting to make yourself a very nice adapter to fit the stove threads. That's what I did anyway. The brass cuts easily and there's enough meat under the pipe threads to allow good threads to be cut. It's cheap to do too if you have access to a 3/8 -18 die.

brass pipe fitting.jpg

Last edited:
I hear guys say a lot “find another dealer”. Sometimes that’s not an option. If the next closest dealer is 200 miles away......do you think he’s gonna make a service call? Not all areas of the country are populated enough to have several dealer options. Sometimes you just gotta work with what’s available.....and sometimes that’s not much.

Kudos to the OP for trying to learn for himself. Many times you find the “dealer” knows less about the product than you do.
Find another brand stove

You can run a 3/8"-18 die over a brass 1/4" npt male barbed fitting to make yourself a very nice adapter to fit the stove threads. That's what I did anyway. The brass cuts easily and there's enough meat under the pipe threads to allow good threads to be cut. It's cheap to do too if you have access to a 3/8 -18 die.

View attachment 238411

3/8-18 npt die? That sounds like a great idea. Just want to make sure I get the right one.

Find another brand stove

I hear what you are saying and if I lived somewhere else I might consider shopping around more. I only have one pellet stove dealer within 200 miles. He carries Quadrafire and can get Harman. My options are limited.

3/8-18 npt die? That sounds like a great idea. Just want to make sure I get the right one.

The stove body threads are plain old 3/8

Surprisingly the stove threads are not tapered pipe threads but are instead plain old 3/8 16 UNC threads. I mistyped the thread count above. It is 16 rather than 18 tip.

Hugh

I am purchasing a Harman P68 for my basement and the Absolute 63 for the first floor of my house. I have a very large farm house and we get to negative 30. My dealer said he does not do the draft adjustments. I would like to make sure everything is adjusted correctly when they are installed next week. I read both install manuals and it shows you where the "draft adjustment screw location" is but dont explain how to connect to it. I purchased a magnahelic 0 to 1 inch wc gauge. Do I need tubing to hook up to the stove? or a probe? Do I use the high or low pressure port on the magnahelic?

The manual seems to cover the rest once I get the gauge hooked up. I apologize if this is a stupid question. I am spending a lot of money and want the stoves to run the best they can.

Thanks for your help.
I read all the posts. If I was you I would stay with the harmans and figure things out, especially if you are handy.Those stoves are beasts and will serve you well. You won't regret getting them.

Good luck

Honestly, I can't imagine anything happening to the stove,
because the draft control was not right.
What would happen would be most likely a flame that is not as efficient as it could be..
If you can't get a gauge.. you can adjust by watching the flame.
If it looks like a blow torch, too much draft,
if it looks like it is burning diesel fuel, not enough.
Just make small adjustments, and give them 15 minutes or so to level out..

Keep in mind that the draft setting can change with the weather..
So get it to burn nice, and just leave it alone.

Dan

Honestly, I can't imagine anything happening to the stove,
because the draft control was not right.
What would happen would be most likely a flame that is not as efficient as it could be..
If you can't get a gauge.. you can adjust by watching the flame.
If it looks like a blow torch, too much draft,
if it looks like it is burning diesel fuel, not enough.
Just make small adjustments, and give them 15 minutes or so to level out..

Keep in mind that the draft setting can change with the weather..
So get it to burn nice, and just leave it alone.

Dan

Found a gauge on eBay for $20 brand new in the box. I agree with you though that I could eye ball it as well. I figured if I am spending the money on two stoves that I could afford $20. Haha.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pete Zahria
This is what I did for my draft fitting "adapter".
Rather than rethread the stove, which would be difficult,
I made this out of a 3/8" bolt, and a piece of tubing..
My cost... zero.

Dan
fitting.jpg