Draft Problems with Osburn2400I Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tgloersen

Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
N New Haven County, CT
I'm in going into my 4th season burning with an Osburn 2400i. It was install 4 years ago along with a chimney liner. Draft has never been that good for a few reasons, chimney height low at about 15feet, chimney location on side of house.

Anyway it seemed that the fire is now very lazy, even after a good cleaning. I have not cleaned the chimney since the install and i plan to this weekenk along with the baffle system in the insert. Could this be the problem with the lazy flame? So far since install i burnt maybe 3-4 cords.

Thanks

Very well could be, always a good idea to look at your chimney after a new install to see how things are going, 4 years is a bit much. :)

Yep 4 years is much going to check it out this weekend, smoke escaping from this stove was always a problem even from the beginning, but the lazy flame was as recent as half through last winter. I'm betting that a good sweep of the chimney and a good baffle cleaning will solve the flame problem. The flue has no elbows thankfully., the liner is pretty much a straight shot from the insert up.

Hi Seymour, I work for Osburn. let me know how it goes after the sweep is done.

Smoke spilling into the room may be an indication of negative pressure in the house. Once you get going again we can help with trouble shooting.

Hopefully it's just a plugged cap. Is this stove connected to a full, insulated, 6" liner?

Thanks Fyerbug, The liner is a full 6" but is not insulated, it was impossible to get an insulated liner down the chimney just way to tight, the cap is not plugged. Gonna clean the baffle this weekend.

Once the problem has been fixed, have you thought about extending the chimney? Even a couple feet might make an improvement.

Yah that thought has definetly crossed my mind. I'm considering putting in the budget for next year.

Thanks for the info...These look nice and easy to install! Gonna check into them.

Contact Craig, (PM the webmaster) for more info.

I just burned my first break in fire this morning on my 14' chimney and it did pretty good. In fact it had a better draft than my old insert did. I insulated the liner and believe it did make a difference. I also provided fresh air to the hole in the bottom of the insert because my house is very tight. I bet your 6" chimney now has a much smaller inside diameter due to creosote.

Status
Not open for further replies.