Drilling stainless steel question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dad

Nov 29, 2019
PA
What's the easiest way to drill 1/8 in holes through a stainless steel rain cap, top plate (vertical portion) & liner.
I must be doing something very wrong. I'm using a new DeWalt cobalt bit, going slow and keeping everything cool... and this is taking forever.

Centerpunch to start. Use a cobalt bit with a 135º point angle that has a titanium carbonitride coated tip. Put a drop of oil on the tip before each hole.

Problem with stainless steel is some grades can be work hardened. Once that happens you’re screwed.
Easy pressure. Slower turning speed. Lots of cutting oil. The oil needs to be on the drill points. A drop at the start with nothing during the process is absolutely useless.

Reactions: tlc1976 and Dad
A drop at the start with nothing during the process is absolutely useless.
Why is that?
I've been bad about using oil and wonder about the benefits.

Why is that?
I've been bad about using oil and wonder about the benefits.
cutting oil cools and provides lubrication to the cutting edge. Understanding feeds and speeds helps a great deal.

I can drill something like a mad man once or I can work till coffee break with the same cutting tool treated properly. The tougher the working materials the more important it becomes.

Reactions: semipro