Drolet tundra 2/heatmax 2 wood furnace reviews ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob123

Dec 15, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Hello, we have been looking at buying a drolet tundra 2 or heatmax 2 and are looking for reviews from people who have used these models.

We own a older renovated Mobile home with a 12x24 addition with a total of 1100 sq/ft and I'm planning to install the wood furnace in the addition and removing the gas furnace so I have access to the heat duct inlet on the main trunk. I will run the duct from the wood furnace in the addition to the factory ducting in the mobile home.

We are looking at drolet furnaces, fire chief and Royall.

Right now we use a big wood stove and we need something that uses the heating ducts so the entire house gets full heat.

They still make the Tundra II? Its not available here anymore...the Heat Commander took its place...EPA requirements and all.
The T2 should be plenty to heat your space...the issue you will need to watch out for is that you don't create "heat traps" with your ductwork...that's where the duct discharges lower than than the run or furnace are...in basement installs you generally run the ducts so that duct has a little rise on the runs right to the discharge point...that allows the heat to rise (and air to flow) if the power goes out or there is a blower failure...things can get get hot quick if that happens! Gotta remember, a wood furnace doesn't just shut the fire off like a fossil fuel heater does when the power fails.
Many mobile homes have their ductwork under the floor...that doesn't work with wood furnaces...instant heat trap.
As far as T2 reviews, if you use the search feature here there are plenty of them in use here, although some have upgraded to the Heat Commander now maybe...but the T2 is fine and will be plenty for that small space...you just gotta work out that duct issue.
Oh, and if you don't hear anything else I say, hear this...avoid that Firechief like the plague! (I assume its the FC1000E?) Again, use the search feature here...those things are terrible! Should be banned!! The FC1000E, 1500, and 1700 were all bad...now if its one of the older models with the shaker grates, and the smoke bypass, those were ok...just won't burn as clean as a T2.
Also avoid the Shelter version of the FC too (if those are even available there?) They are called SH1000E (not sure they made a SH1500E and 1700E...those wouldn't be available anymore though, even here...identical to the FC, just a different color and nameplate...bad news either way!

Last edited:
Reactions: woodey
They still make the Tundra II? Its not available here anymore...the Heat Commander took its place...EPA requirements and all.

What is the Canadian emission standard?

In Canada, the CSA B415.1-10 standard regulates fine particle emissions. Canadian provinces accept CSA B415.1-10 and EPA certified appliances.

Under CSA B415.1-10, appliances must have emissions below 4.5 g/h. Drolet appliances that do not meet the EPA 2020 standard are tested to CSA B415.1-10 and their emissions do not exceed 4.5 g/h. They can therefore be sold legally anywhere in Canada. Exceptions may apply, as is the case for the city of Montreal, where emissions must be less than 2.5 g/h (regardless of EPA or CSA certification). If in doubt, check if your municipality has a specific by-law relating to wood heating.

avoid that Firechief like the plague! (I assume its the FC1000E?) Again, use the search feature here...those things are terrible! Should be banned!! The FC1000E, 1500, and 1700 were all bad...
AGREED. Save yourself from the misery and frustration of others!!!

Reactions: brenndatomu
Drolet furnaces are not approved for installation in mobile homes.
CCBC121F-9802-4DF8-85AC-1E64EBF03BFF.png

I believe that is the reason for installing it in the addition
Up here at least the addition is not considered a mobile home

I believe that is the reason for installing it in the addition
Up here at least the addition is not considered a mobile home
But unless the addition is enough lower than the house to be able to put some rise on the runs (not create a heat trap) its still a bad idea...but I doubt its enough lower to be able to connect to the factory ducts (usually under the floor) and still have rise to the end of the run(s)

Nobody living in a trailer ever let bad ideas stop them...

My last trailer was a double wide
never did add wood heat.
Set it up temporally and moved it 10 years later.
I had a hole cut in my ducting to dump warm air under the trailer,bank up with snow in the winter.

Reactions: Rockstar1346
My last trailer was a double wide
never did add wood heat.
Set it up temporally and moved it 10 years later.
I had a hole cut in my ducting to dump warm air under the trailer,bank up with snow in the winter.
Mine was too grew up in it bought it from my parents. When the wife first moved in with me it blew her mind that I would bank the whole house she’s never heard of anyone doing that haha I said well when your poor this is free insulation. We had a small pellet stove in that one so wasn’t much heating underneath.

I've been running a Heatmax 2 for almost 2 full seasons. It's a great furnace after you add the reload timer and PID temp controller. I would hate it without those. If you can get a Heat Commander for not much more you'll like it much better.

I've been running a Heatmax 2 for almost 2 full seasons. It's a great furnace after you add the reload timer and PID temp controller. I would hate it without those.
I agree...I was so close to tearing out my old Tundra some years back...I was so pizzed at that thing...it would have been gone except there was a cold front coming in the next day...then I figured some things out with it, and did all the mods to it...that was a game changer for sure!

Reactions: andym
I've been running a Heatmax 2 for almost 2 full seasons. It's a great furnace after you add the reload timer and PID temp controller. I would hate it without those. If you can get a Heat Commander for not much more you'll like it much better.
Hi,
I've joined this board for exactly those ideas I've had for my furnace for the last two years but couldn't really find the components to do it.

Can you help me ? Reload timer is #1 on my list.

Thanks,