Drolets and doghouses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

weee123

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2022
NJ
Do newer drolet stoves still have the doghouse? I know Englander did away with it in the new NC32 and was curious if drolet did the same.

I personally find the doghouse in my osburn to just get in the way and limit how I load firewood and build a fire in it. Would really like to get a stove without one.

The metal stickout in front of the stove in the firebox that feeds primary air
1670900326314.jpeg

Reactions: RomanW
2022 build Drolet 1800i

760716BD-D95F-447B-A8CF-8B2EE1F61572.jpeg

Ok thanks for the info. Im glad to see they at least shrunk it up by a good bit. Mine hangs into the box by a good 3 inches

Ok thanks for the info. Im glad to see they at least shrunk it up by a good bit. Mine hangs into the box by a good 3 inches
I think if you cut to 15” you can N/S load my box just fine.

I think if you cut to 15” you can N/S load my box just fine.
I’m assuming you do e/w loads mainly? How long will your stove keep coals?

I’m assuming you do e/w loads mainly? How long will your stove keep coals?
I scrounge wood. I have jotul that will take 20” so cut a bunch to 18”. I have a tree guy that drops off loads for free. 10”-28”. So I load what ever is in the top of the stack. Get a good coal bed 12 hours I still have coals for a slow relight. Today was n/s on top of E/W.

It’s a good design. Mine over drafts so I have a damper still trying to dial it in.

I scrounge wood. I have jotul that will take 20” so cut a bunch to 18”. I have a tree guy that drops off loads for free. 10”-28”. So I load what ever is in the top of the stack. Get a good coal bed 12 hours I still have coals for a slow relight. Today was n/s on top of E/W.
12 hours?! What are you burning? I've loaded mine to the secondaries N/S over E/W with pine rounds a splits and only got 5 maybe 6 hrs. Fully shut down too.

It’s a good design. Mine over drafts so I have a damper still trying to dial it in.
Agreed, Once I get mine going I can cruise at 700 fully closed down with a good fire going. Last night I got a bit scared, it sat at 800 for 45 minutes and was getting really hot. The secondaries were starting to go red, and my fire brick was too lol. Luckily the box didn't.

Yellow pine. I’m finding it’s all about how you pack it. And with a damper and wireless flue temp probe I can ride the line. And when I say slow restart I mean blower off just enough coals to bring forward and light twigs basically. It’s an interior chimney so it holds heat really well.

Fair enough. I'm finding I have to leave a fair amount of gaps in the wood so the back side can breathe... So maybe thats hurting me a bit.

That’s where I have my coals after a long burn. I can usually find a good chuck back there. Now if I want a fast hot fire I put two sleepers n S and let it rip. I done empty ash very often. If had mine hot but never glowing.

12 hours? Thats wild. My stove is stone cold with nothing bust ash in it. Max I’ve had coals in it was 7 hours, usually after 5-6 theres nothing but ash.

12 hours? Thats wild. My stove is stone cold with nothing bust ash in it. Max I’ve had coals in it was 7 hours, usually after 5-6 theres nothing but ash.
I can’t get 12 from a cold light but today I lit a 1/2 load at 10:30 and the blower just shut off. I’m going to check my chimney after Xmas and see how clean it looks. 24’ of insulated 6” liner. I could be running on the cooler/dirtier side.