DRW to SRW- pros and cons?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pybyr said:
I recently lucked into the purchase of an incredibly well kept 1989 F-350 4x4 7.3 diesel dual rear wheel truck (12,700 miles on it) that's now become my daily driver (I gave it a thorough coat of bar & chain oil underneath to try to resist VT road salt).

I've never driven a DRW truck before- and find it great on dry pavement (M+S Michelins on back, Nokian Vativas on front as it came to me), but last night, with an icy layer + powedery snow top layer on the back unpaved roads, the truck's rear was ALL over the place.

I will rarely be carrying payloads that'd require the DRWs in back, and it looks to me as if I could set it up with just one set of wheels- pointed outwards- for temporary SRW except when DRWs are needed.

Can I expect better traction/stability with the SRW (more weight per tire = larger contact patch?) ?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Dunno what to tell you. My doolee handles great in the snow. Try throwing a few hundred pounds in the back.

I believe that the MOST important thing for driving in snow is good tires. A 2wd driven carefully with very good tires may even out perform at 4x4 with lousy tires in winter driving conditions.

Flatbedford said:
I believe that the MOST important thing for driving in snow is good tires. A 2wd driven carefully with very good tires may even out perform at 4x4 with lousy tires in winter driving conditions.

I agree.
Get a good winter tire without a solid shoulder and have them siped 1/8". I run a 2WD Chevy S-10 all through the winter with no problems. Good winter rubber and 100 lbs of weight in the back.

interchangabLEE said:
...I run a 2WD Chevy S-10 all through the winter...
not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's not what i expected you to drive. I half expected you to have some really unique military grade, amphibious, flame throwing, diesel powered, converted to tracks, type of vehicle.

Danno77 said:
interchangabLEE said:
not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's not what i expected you to drive. I half expected you to have some really unique military grade, amphibious, flame throwing, diesel powered, converted to tracks, type of vehicle.

That's why he drives the Chevy. ;-)

Flatbedford said:
Danno77 said:
interchangabLEE said:

That's why he drives the Chevy. ;-)

He also didn't tell you that he got it off the Transformers assembly line.... :coolgrin:

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.