DS Comfort Max 75 - Last effort before replacing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When you get a probe type thermometer, the instructions with it will probably require a larger hole in the outer pipe with a bushing to prevent sensing he outer wall pipe temperature. Install as instructed.

The object is keeping the chimney flue above 250*f to the top when smoke is present. Below this critical temperature, water vapor from combustion condenses on chimney flue and pipe walls allowing smoke particles to stick. This forms creosote.

Your magnetic pipe thermometer is for single wall pipe. It will read surface temperature which is about 1/2 the internal flue temperature. Notice the safe low temperature zone is close to 250*f. This is actually 500* internal, assumed to cool back down to 250* at top. This is only a guide since all venting systems cool differently. The probe thermometer will give you actual flue gas temp. Then allow for cooling as gases rise to top. (as bholler stated above, about 350*f considering cooling of your particular chimney.

I have a probe on the way so I can see what is happening... When we had the arctic blast we were -9 at the lowest here - I started and built a coal fire the morning before it heat and it chugged along beautifully around 350-400 degrees on top middle for 4 days.

Definitely a lot easier to manage than wood!

Reactions: Rich L
Your wood pile will get severely neglected once you start burning coal. 😆 When using coal you’ll want lower stack temps. No creasote to worry about. You can keep all that heat inside instead of sending it up the chimney.

Reactions: Rich L
My apologies, I haven't had a chance to sign on lately. AlpineWarren, congrats on the new stove. Sounds like you are enjoying it. To answer your question from a while back, I did also read and tried the paper clip idea to keep from closing all the way. I wasn't a big fan of doing this so it only lasted a while. When talking to DS directly they had said at one point they sold the stove with a set screw to accomplish the same thing, but that was many years ago. I recently had someone come out and inspect the stove. No problems were found. I did get some tips which I put to good use and to be honest they did help some. Nothing concrete to pass along. Mostly it was changing how I load the stove. Since I started having the problems with the stove I started putting in smaller loads which I think made my problem appear worse where the regulator was working against me since I didn't have a long steady burn. Long story short my conclusion in all of this is that DS makes a good stove, I have talked to many people that absolutely love them. I think it just boils down to me not liking the bi-metal regulator. For that reason I decided to move onto a Kuma which I am hoping to have in about a week. I have seen the Kumas in action and liked what I saw. Not crazy about having a Cat now but I think I will be happy. I talked with Kuma and they were very helpful and seem to have great customer service.

Reactions: AlpineWarren