DSL Router & Networking Question – Keep Alive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wenger7446

Feeling the Heat
Dec 13, 2007
Pottstown, PA
I just switch my Linksys router to PPPoE for my Verizon DSL(For the past 3 years Verizon has been great). It was advised by the manual that I should turn on “Keep Alive redial every 30 secs” to keep my connection active and ready.

From my understanding Keep Alive sends a packet of information “somewhere”….but where? Does the router send the packet to the modem (so it would not use any bandwidth) on to the Verizon web server (so that packet goes out on the www)?

Thanks!

Ryan near Philly, PA.

Thanks for responding.

From reading that, it does sound the data packets are sent from the linksys router to verizon's host server to keep the connections alive?

Can I get a confirmation?

Status
Not open for further replies.