Duravent Insulating Sleeve??? Will this really insulate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikend

Hearth Supporter
Oct 6, 2009
North Dakota
When I had my Hampton i300 installed I requested that the ss line be wrapped with insulation. I've since found out that they only used a insulation sleeve and nothing else. To best describe it, think of the material and thickness used to make sandbags.

I've got a call into the manufacture to find out the r-value, which I don't see how this could have any r-value. I expected more of a blanket type material. I imagine when everyone says to have their liner insulated they mean having it wrapped with a blanket or backfilled...this thin sleeve couldn't really be providing any benefit could it???

Attached is a screenshot from the catalog with a description.

Duravent 0822 insulating sleeve:
Use to insulate DuraFlex AL to reduce condensation on gas systems. Use with Duraflex 304 & 316 for relining wood-burning fireplace inserts and stoves to meet UL 1777 and ULC S635 standards with 0” clearance to masonry.

Attachments

• sleeve2.jpg
    sleeve2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 382
Update: I heard back from duravent and the liner that was installed is only for gas fireplaces. They have a blanket material that should have been used.

As you could imagine I'm not exactly thrilled with the installer. To boot, the sleeve they put on will have to be removed, so the liner will have to be pulled back out.

MikeND said:
Update: I heard back from duravent and the liner that was installed is only for gas fireplaces. They have a blanket material that should have been used.

As you could imagine I'm not exactly thrilled with the installer. To boot, the sleeve they put on will have to be removed, so the liner will have to be pulled back out.

Can you see if the liner is ss or aluminum... Aluminum with enough force of the thumb will bend in whereas stainless won't... I"m sure their is no way an installer could put the wrong pipe in.... but then again!!

The insulation sleeve we use is the kaowool insulation with a burlapish sack over it, it insulates about the same as a 1/2" insulation wrap.

That pic you showed does not look like the same item we usually use though, and its 10' long. What we use is a 7102-ZC I think, 6' long or so. Its in the catalog with the SS wood liners. So maybe this is something different used here that I have not seen before.

Are you sure that this is not just on the flex section through the damper? Are you sure yours is 10' long and not the 6' long one they sell for the flex section?

The entire pipe is flex, one piece. The pipe is stainless steel, at least that's what the quote stated. I believe the entire pipe has the sleeve on it. The installer was just going to put a cap on and a soft block off plate, I insisted I wanted the pipe insulated and sent him a picture of a liner wrap.

The sleeve is what the Rep recommended, I think he just looked in the catalog and saw the sleeve and ordered it without really consulating the manufacturer, when I called them there was no question that he used the wrong one.

He is trying to get to the bottom of it with the rep.

Get a copy of the install instructions for the liner they end up using, and make sure they follow them to the letter as far as what insulation product to use. The instructions are usually very clear on what insulation products are acceptable. If it isn't installed IAW the instructions, then it isn't to code, and if you don't have the instructions, you have no idea if it was installed according to what the manufacturer specifies.

The "thin sleeve" you show above certainly does what it is intended to do - insulate the flue enough to meet UL 1777 requirements at zero clearance to combustibles outside the brick chimney. That will have been tested by the approving agencies (Warnock Hersey or ULC for example), and the approval will be documented in the instructions that come with the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.