Durock strips in hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
FWIW, I'm surprised that Hearthstone doesn't make bottom heat shields. That would make this a moot point.

Actually I think it is per NFP where the stove only has 4" legs (bottom of stove less than 6" off floor). If Siros got the optional 6" legs his hearth R-value min requirements are only 2.5. I believe even with a bottom heat shield and the 4" legs he would have to install R-6.6 .

I already spoke to someone at Hearthstone and they recommend a pre-made pad. They referred me to Hearth Classics and I felt a little suspicious. I pressed him for info. for building my own pad and he said to use the chart in the manual and start stacking. Any one else want to weigh in on using metal studs? From reading other threads, I gathered that this was an acceptable way of constructing a hearth pad. Elk posted this response in the thread, "Looking for Micore"

"The theory is that the metal studs or high hats distribute heat through out the framing and not directed in on hot spot
The purpose of an extention of hearth is to provide a non combustiable surface the reduces thermal heat to the combustiables underneath. Fiberglass insulation achieve this by creating the air space. Fiberglass may be used under non combustiables because it is not directly expposed to surface contact the it is buffered by dura rock and another non combustiable covering. Its flash point is almost twice that of the wood it is protecting. The metal studs surounded are non combustiables buffered by air space and heat dissipation. To dress up a built up pad I can use wood trim providing the wood is spaced beyond the non combustiable range so over size an extra inch or two"

DonCT has a great sequential set of photos in, "So it Begins" where he uses metal studs and fiberglass insulation.

I'm no thermodynamic whiz, but I would think that any major heat that gets to the studs would travel through the studs and dissipate before radiating down to the concrete.

I think you have it covered. Enough obsessing, get that hearth in and start enjoying the new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.