Dust all over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amos

Apr 25, 2008
Reno,nv
Kind of a wierd title but this is our first winter with pellet only and we have noticed light brown dust all over several rooms where the pellet stove air circulation would be. Is there a problem with the pellet stove or is it possible that the air is not getting filtered properly because we did not use our central furance? Has anybody else experienced this? By the way we live in Reno Nevada. By the way our pellet stove has never smoked up the house.
Thanks
Steve

yopu most likely have an exhaust leak that is allowing fly ash to fall on your convection blower wich is then sending the fly ash all over the house

If it is an exhast leak wouldn't you smell it?? How does one find this leak? Should the pipes be sealed where they join each other?

Thanks

What kind of stove do you have? Another possibility---the first time I cleaned the back of my stove I dumped the accumulated fines onto the fan for the circulation motor. First time I fired it up it blew these fines all over the room. It's possible your fines are overflowing into the same motor and blowing out every time you use the stove.

Are you filling the stove when the stove is running and the Room air blower is on?? If so try to only fill it when the stove is off or fan is at least on low. Light brown dust is from the pellets. Exhaust dust is black. Stick your finger in the vent pipe. It will be black I'm sure.

jay

you would not have to smell it the exhaust blower cloud have a leak on it as well for the dust to be spread every place it woul most likely have have to be done by the convection blower because the Exh.blower is sucking and not pushing into the room check around the conetion to the stove and to and any elbows near the back of the stove.

I have to agree with jtakeman. Lt brown dust must be pellet dust.

Were you using Pennington brand? They are terrible this year for dust. Last seasons had accumulated fines in the bottom of the bag, this year the fines are stuck throughout the bag. I stick the hose from shop vac in the hopper as I pour. I only bought any of that brand as that was all that was available at the time.

Our stove is the Harman Advance, I always fill the stove with pellets when it is running. We only use Golden fire pellets, seem to burn good. We have turned the stove off for now and are running central propane to see what happens. Will be cleaning the stove in the next couple of days and will check for leaks.
Thanks

If you just dump the pellets into the hopper from the bag without any sort of sifting or cleaning (as some people do), and especially if you fill it while the stove is running, you are bound to get pellet dust kicked up and blown around the room.

My wife is complaining about white dust all over the place. the stove is located next to the tv and it;s always got a whitish dust all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.