Dusty pellets...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambruins

Hearth Supporter
Jun 26, 2008
Chazy, NY
I have tried a few different types of pellets and the last last couple I have tried have been very dusty. If I just dump the pellets into the hopper I get dust everywhere. I have been opening the bag outside and pouring it into a bucket to get rid of most of the dust. Do most bags of pellets have a lot of dust? Anyone have any good contractions to help with the dust? Thanks.

Some brands and bags have more than others. Pouring the pellets outside into a secondary container is one solution. I found that if I pour them more slowly, I tend to get less dust flying up in the air.

If you do this, it is totally up to you, not sure how it would work in all stoves, warranty, etc. We buy bulk and have 1 ton crib in the garage that the pellets go into where they are then bucketed into the stove in the basement. We pour any used cooking oil or grease we have it into the crib, it then gets stirred in with a canoe paddle. Seems to keep the dust down, and probably adds a few btu's. Be very careful if you have animals, dogs will take a liking to eating pellets that taste like bacon, I assume the vet bill if they get blocked up would be rather high.

Have you tried different kind of pellets. Barefoot is the cleanest ive found so far. As for mixing in cooking oil, never heard of that before, dosent sound too smart!!!

I have tried three kinds of pellets and two are very dusty and the other wasn't as dusty but had more fines. The kind with the fines never produced burnpot buildup (clinkers?) but with the two dusty brands I have to scrape the burnpot every couple days.

jack56 said:
Have you tried different kind of pellets. Barefoot is the cleanest ive found so far. As for mixing in cooking oil, never heard of that before, dosent sound too smart!!!

Why not? I'm not talking gallons. Ever tried to light room temp cooking oil with a match? You may do better getting a pellet lit without positive air flow.

Find some rocky mountain beetle killed pine pellets, absolutely no dust from any of the bags i have used. No fines, no dust, no crumbled pellets they are the cleanest i have ever used.

I have had bag to bag difference within the same brand same ton. Some bags dusty some nothing.I am useing lignetics 2 nd ton this season and MUCH DIRTIER AND MUCH MORE DUSTY !Hammer hot ones dusty, fireside ultras not so bad but alot a saw dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.