DVL pipe to tee snout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What is the reason for using DVL instead of single-wall? Typically the tee has a band clamp to secure the liner. It can be ordred with a long snout.
tee connector with snout.jpg

What is the reason for using DVL instead of single-wall? Typically the tee has a band clamp to secure the liner. It can be ordred with a long snout.
View attachment 321924

I like the idea of have a stove pipe that does not get as hot as a single wall pipe. Also I am putting my Green Mountain 60 in alcove (it is approved for this). And although the the alcove is being constructed with non combustible materials I am trying to keep clearances as if the walls were combustible. I would like to use a Tee like the one you have posted but I still don't know the best way to connect the DVL to that snout. Do I have to use a Duravent brand flex liner and tee if I use double wall duravent pipe? Or can I connect it to the tee snout like you have pictured.

Thanks

If an alcove is being constructed, then it shouldn't have liner in it. It should have a chimney support box in the ceiling and chimney pipe on up. Then connection at the support box with double-wall stovepipe is straight forward.

Can you post the full plans for the alcove to make sure the design is proper?

The chimney would get an insulated 6" liner terminating in a capped tee. The snout of the tee would pass through a thimble to which the stove connects via double-wall stove pipe. How tall is the chimney from the future thimble to the top?

There are clearance issues that need to be paid close attention to, but it can be done. We need full dimensions. Can you add a front view sketch that includes dimensions? Describe the construction of the alcove walls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dajolu
If an alcove is being constructed, then it shouldn't have liner in it. It should have a chimney support box in the ceiling and chimney pipe on up. Then connection at the support box with double-wall stovepipe is straight forward.

Can you post the full plans for the alcove to make sure the design is proper?

The alcove is planned to be built adjacent to an existing exterior masonry chimney. The chimney exterior dimensions are 24" x 24" and is clay lined (8.5 x 8.5" inside dimensions) but I would like to run a liner up it. I haven't seen this done before and maybe its not a good idea.. However if I maintain proper clearances and use the proper passthrough and chimney liner this should be ok? Attached is a crude drawing not drawn to scale..

IMG_1234.jpg

The chimney would get an insulated 6" liner terminating in a capped tee. The snout of the tee would pass through a thimble to which the stove connects via double-wall stove pipe. How tall is the chimney from the future thimble to the top?

There are clearance issues that need to be paid close attention to, but it can be done. Can you add a front view sketch that includes dimensions? Describe the construction of the alcove walls.

I will have to find the planned dimensions and post a more accurate drawing with those dimensions for you. The house is a two story colonial with the masonry chimney as high as the peak of the house. I am guessing 20-25ft it will be from the planned Tee. I have to get a better measurement on that as well. The alcove walls are to be steel studs covered in durock and then tiled.

That sounds good. Will the chimney face be exposed on the stove side?

That sounds good. Will the chimney face be exposed on the stove side?

I would like to tile the whole interior of the alcove so, ideally the chimney face will be tiled over. Not sure if the builder will be able to tile right over the exposed brick or if he will plan on covering it with a sheet of durock first.

Tiling is ok. He may attach a wire mesh to the brick first. Regardless, it's still a non-combustible surface. The tee snout should extend far enough for the final depth.

Last edited: