e-classic 2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No they aren't even selling them in my area that I know of. None of the OWB dealers seem to be pushing the clean burn stuff around here. Talking with the HeatMor rep a couple weeks ago and his attitude was "hey, there's nothing that says we have to sell the PhaseII product so why bother with it. "

Frozen Canuck said:
Hey Canuck! What are those readings on your flue gas? I'm curious to see whether they are close to what I have observed on the several OWB's I have "sniffed". If you don't mind sharing that is...........

I left the Testo in the flue too long on the last one and literally smoked my CO censor. Got to get a new set. Aaaarrrrrrrgh!!!

Yep that is what almost happened to me (destroy the sensor that is). You see I borrowed the meter from my go to guy here when I have a hydronics issue. He was in the yard to see me about a house that was in desperate need of a reno as well as new heating equipment so I asked if I could use his gear to test my OWB. He said sure so I put a ladder on the upwind side of the stack & went up & put the sensor in the flue.

That lasted about 3-5 seconds & he was screaming at me to get that tester out of that flue, he knew you see what I at that time did not, namely that the amount of particulate matter, smoke & other gases in the flue would destroy that high end tester of his (the guy never cheaps out on tools) if it were in the flue too long.

So long story short he was very unhappy with me, said if I ever wanted to try that "stunt" again to go & buy a cheap tester & no way would he loan me his again at least never to test another unit like that.

I climb roofs for him a do the sniff testing when he has no one else to go up & test (he is 65). So hopefully I won't be on his bad list for too long. You see I need him more than he needs me.

AFA results of the "test" go, the flue exhaust sent the meter off the scale over the maximum it was designed to detect on the CO detector, all other gases were in his words "insane". What the ______ is wrong with this unit is another quote (he was referring to my OWB) not his tester.

I took his advise & bought a cheap tester, tried it & it read off the scale as well. Oh well at least it was cheap. (Actually cheaper than his high end unit would be more accurate).

So all I can accurately report is gases are either near or over the maximum that the equipment will read/tolerate. Which is many many times what is safe for a person to breathe. SO if you linger too long you will be dead just like the testing equipment. :sick:

Sorry to hear about your destroyed sensor, hopefully just the CO sensor needs replacing & not the whole unit, as I was informed after my "stunt" of the cost of a new unit. Very Pricey piece of gear!!!! :bug:

Just a thought: maybe someone with connections could approach the USGS about a used tester that they might be able to part with (the ones they use to test gases in a volcano) that way we will have a piece of gear tough enough to test an OWB & survive to test another (at least I think it would survive). ;-)[/quote]

I like that bit about the USGS.....LOL It's probably true. :)

Well I was just thinking there has to be some way of testing these units without destroying the testing equipment. So if a flue gas analizer cannot survive then maybe a volcano flue gas tester can. At least I hope it could ;-)

Kind of explains my trouble breathing & coughing while loading the OWB though. :sick:

heaterman said:
Como said:
I know someone who has just bought a 2300, manufacture date was Dec 2009. I do not know if they got a deal for old stock.

I do not think they realise quite how much wood they will get through. They are going to have to keep it loaded 24x7 for at least 9 months. My guess is that they would need 3 to meet peak demand.

What conclusion have you reached on the heating system for the old hotel? Make a decision yet?

Short version I am awaiting to find out if I am successful in my application for GEO funding.

One Garn 2000, or preferably 2 Garn 1500

None of the Heating Contractors wanted to take it on as a design and install, so we are going to separate the two. The cost to design I have had so far is much more that I expected. Definite ouch. We still have snow falling....

The Hotel I referred to is 3x our size. A neighbour of mine used to have the propane contract years ago, he could supply 2,000 gallons of propane a week in bad weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.