Early Papa Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dan57

Nov 8, 2020
Found an early Papa Bear and they want 350.00 for it. I'm torn as I want it but don't need it. I' get it and restore it then put it in the corner. Question is are the early ones gaining in collector value to make it worth my while or just use it in the shop and not worry about value?
fisher papa bear.jpg

Papa to the moon!

Using it properly without abuse will not decrease the value. So if you need a stove to use, it’s also an investment. You can find buyers that won’t pay more than a couple hundred, and others that would easily pay 550 or more for it right now.

Well, I caved and drove the 3 hours yesterday to get the stove. Nice condition and seems it was put in the family lake cabin basement new. Took four people to get it out to sell. Stove was in Sandstone Mn. so not sure who would have made it. Drove 3 hours the day before to pick up a baby bear for 100.00. Also nice and was placed on a bench in a garage near Grand Rapids Mn. They both have angles legs and the baby has a odd cut on one angle.

Attachments

• unloading papa bear.JPG
    unloading papa bear.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 153
  • papa exaust.JPG
    papa exaust.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 152
  • papa bear.JPG
    papa bear.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 153
  • brushed on paint.JPG
    brushed on paint.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 158
  • papa and baby.JPG
    papa and baby.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 161
  • casting lines.JPG
    casting lines.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 151
  • papa and baby different leg angles.JPG
    papa and baby different leg angles.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 158
  • baby with two different leg cuts.JPG
    baby with two different leg cuts.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 162
I think they are such beautiful stoves and they have character and so glad that you took the effort and money and saved these two. If I were young and strong and wanted a hobby to fix up things I really think that I would choose these old stoves...Good for you and thanks for bringing the past back to be in the future for the next generations to see and experience..mrs clancey

I removed the fire brick from the papa bear and am curious if the fire brick is original to the stove. Its stamped MOREX 1/14. Thanks for any insight on this.

Your stoves would have came from Fisher Stoves - Fenske Welding, Rt 3 Hwy 71, Bemidji, Minnesota 56601.

Leg angles varied by fabricator. Some didn’t angle the bottom at all, others clipped corners. Drawings called for a taper at bottom 4 inches long down to 1 inch at end. Part number 106 rear, 107 front with a BB after number for Baby.

Bricks were purchased locally to avoid shipping charges.

History of Morex Refractory here;

He is a gem of information and knows his fisher wood stoves and where to look for information...How unique is that bricks made in Mexico.. Enjoying hearing about my wonderful bear stoves glad you are trying to make it good again for the future of it..love them..clancey

He is a gem of information and knows his fisher wood stoves and where to look for information...How unique is that bricks made in Mexico.. Enjoying hearing about my wonderful bear stoves glad you are trying to make it good again for the future of it..love them..clancey
Mexico Missouri