Ease of pulling PEX-AL-PEX?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heppm01

Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2009
SE Mich
I am redoing the nightmare of a radiant heat "system" the PO of my house "installed". All told I'll be putting in about 900' of 1/2" under-floor plate and tube. I am intrigued with the idea of PEX-AL-PEX, but am concerned that it will be considerably more difficult pulling and routing between the joists, as compared to conventional PEX. It seems the PAP takes a "set" pretty easily, and I'm afraid that after making the turns through the joists I'll end up with 250' of S-curve piping, ill-suited for cradling in the transfer plates.

Is my concern justified, or am I getting worked up over nothing?

Thanks,

Matt

I managed to straighten out my 1" Pex-AL-Pex with a 3' section of 2" PVC and some good ole elbow grease. Once it's straight you're good to go, it holds it's shape quite nicely. But getting it straight does take more work than normal pex.

I did just what your doing two years ago with comp pex minus the plates. I clipped the pex to the joists about two inches below the subfloor (about 30,000 nails from the hardwood floorprotruding) and insulated below. For me I could push the al-pex right between the joist bays and it would walk down very well without much deforming whatsoever...Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.