Easy Question on Jensen furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AKDreamer

Sep 19, 2017
WI
Hello! Have been lurking around here and there but havent been able to get my question answered so here goes....I have an older Jensen furnace at a recreational property that i have. This jensen was tied into the ductwork before I pulled it out. It was piped in from the bottom of the furnace. I am renovating the place and wanted to redo everything so pulled it off the ductwork.

Once I complete the hearth and new chimney, can i run this furnace without actually connecting it into the existing duct work? I just need some heat while i work since winter is around the corner. Would you just find a way to seal the bottom vent (where it was conencted to duct work and run a vent pipe from the top of the furnace with a 90 degree elbow?

Does the Jensen have its own blower?

You can probably use it, but pics would be nice, your description of how it was tied in isn't clear, at least to me...

uploadfromtaptalk1505868152425.jpg

This is a mobile home so the ductwork runs under the floor. You can see the mangled up pipe vent in the corner. It's pretty large in diameter. Top of the stove has an access port if you look closely.

Do they usually offer a port underneath and on top of the furnace?

Ah, I see...downflow. That's not usually a legal install on a wood furnace...power goes out and the heat has no where to go...uh oh! So no, wood furnaces always vent up.
The only way I know of doing even a semi-legal (or safe) install on a downflow situation would be to install a plenum with an automatic emergency heat dump door in it.
Maybe you don't have insurance on it, or building code there, and don't give a rip...