Econoburn electical hookups.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskurdu

Jun 10, 2008
Southwestern NY
1. I pulled the elecitrical box open on the back of my Econoburn 150 and am a bit confused. There are 3 white wires coming out of the main unit....one for main power, one for circulator pump, one for primary pump. The main power white wire is easy to figure out as it is the heaviest of the three, but how do the smaller white wire hook up. Seems like if you got them backward the primary pump would run all the time and the circulator pump wouldn't run until the system got up to temp.

2. The wires from the auqastat are equally confusing....I don't know if the guy that had this unit before me was wrong, but there is a red wire connected to one side of the aquastat and a black wire connected to the other side of the aquastat. There is also a ground wire attached to the aquastat box itself. What would you connect the other ends of the black a red wire to? Would they be connected inline to the circulator or primary pumps? The instructions that come with the unit show a red wire going to the overtemp relay to the overtemp valve, but there is no other wire in or near the electical box to connect this red wire to. Would the overtemp valve be a normally open zone valve in the gravity loop????

Obviously I'm not an electrician, but I have done some wiring in the past. I'll have the local heater/boiler dude look it over before cranking up the power, but it would be really nice to know how all this hooks up so that all he has to do is verify my connections before we start it up.

Any help here? Anyone got pics?

Huskurdu said:
1. I pulled the elecitrical box open on the back of my Econoburn 150 and am a bit confused. There are 3 white wires coming out of the main unit....one for main power, one for circulator pump, one for primary pump. The main power white wire is easy to figure out as it is the heaviest of the three, but how do the smaller white wire hook up. Seems like if you got them backward the primary pump would run all the time and the circulator pump wouldn't run until the system got up to temp.

2. The wires from the auqastat are equally confusing....I don't know if the guy that had this unit before me was wrong, but there is a red wire connected to one side of the aquastat and a black wire connected to the other side of the aquastat. There is also a ground wire attached to the aquastat box itself. What would you connect the other ends of the black a red wire to? Would they be connected inline to the circulator or primary pumps? The instructions that come with the unit show a red wire going to the overtemp relay to the overtemp valve, but there is no other wire in or near the electical box to connect this red wire to. Would the overtemp valve be a normally open zone valve in the gravity loop????

Obviously I'm not an electrician, but I have done some wiring in the past. I'll have the local heater/boiler dude look it over before cranking up the power, but it would be really nice to know how all this hooks up so that all he has to do is verify my connections before we start it up.

Any help here? Anyone got pics?

Concerning the the #1 at the top....I'm a moron. The white wires would be interchangeable as the the blue and purple wires would be the switch wires....jeesh! Not enough sleep last night.......

#2 the aquastat to which I am speaking is located in a tee off of the main 2" output on the top of the boiler. My brother-in-law and I were just discussing it and we think that it was put on in error, maybe to bypass the internal electronics...???? not sure. That would be a good reason why the included instructions make no mention of it. They only mention the internal aquastat in the front cover. Could someone please positively identify that this aquastat is not needed?

I can't give you a complete answer, but typically white is 'common' and black is 'hot'. In most installations, all the commons are connected together, and the hot side is switched. For instance, circulator common, line common, and controller common would all be connected together. Line hot might go to an aquastat and the other aquastat terminal might go to circulator hot.

I know this isn't a complete answer, but I hope it helps.

Huskurdu said:
Huskurdu said:
#2 the aquastat to which I am speaking is located in a tee off of the main 2" output on the top of the boiler. My brother-in-law and I were just discussing it and we think that it was put on in error, maybe to bypass the internal electronics...???? not sure. That would be a good reason why the included instructions make no mention of it. They only mention the internal aquastat in the front cover. Could someone please positively identify that this aquastat is not needed?

that aquastat is there as a fail-safe, in case the thing is going over-temperature and the electronic controls somehow are malfunctioning and don't stop it.

it is meant to be set up so as to kill all power to the boiler's blower if it goes above safe temperatures.

You don't want it to kill power to the circulators, though, as you want them to keep running to dissipate the heat

hope that helps

If you have not already found it , there should be a simple diagram pasted on the inside of the main electrical connection box , metal cover , and in the manual .
Anthony

Attachments

• ecnoburn diagram (514 x 600).jpg
    ecnoburn diagram (514 x 600).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 393
I've looked at the electical diagram a million times......but I don't see any 'red' wires in the 4x4 box to connect the aux. aquastat to....the 'to blower from aquastat' and 'to aquastat' and 'to over temp valve' wires are nowhere to be found in the 4x4 box. I was only able to match up the circulator pump, primary pump, and main power wires. The 2-3 wires coming down from the aquastat located on top of the unit had no mates....so-to-speak. I'm thinking the temp sensor located on top of the tank (inside the housing) is the fan turner-on er....lol The fan should totally be controlled by the on-board computer. At least that's what I'm thinking. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps .
Anthony

Attachments

• DSC00730 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSC00730 (600 x 450).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 281
Yes, Anthony that does help...a little. My cover did not have all of the connections listed that you have. I'm wondering why my cover plate is different that yours. I'm also wondering why there are no blower connections or Overtemp valve connections in the 4x4 J box???!!! Hmmmm.....calling Econoburn again today. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.