econoburn question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kuribo

Feeling the Heat
Dec 10, 2007
SW WI
I have an Econoburn 200 that I am in the final stage of commissioning. It has the older controller and I am wondering if those with experience with this boiler could comment on a few issues:

1. The Econoburn recommended plumbing diagram indicated that the boiler should be plumbed not in a classic primary/secondary set up, but rather with a circulator that routes water through the boiler until the boiler has the water at 150F, then shuts off, powering up a second pump that circulates water to the load. Thus, these two pumps are cycles on and off to supply water to the load once the boiler water reaches 150f. There is a user set boiler output temp control as well, though this doesn't seem to control the preprogrammed set point that turns the pumps on and off. It seems the boiler output temp is controlled solely by the blower output. My question is, how closely does the boiler output temp actually track this user set output temp?

2. Has anyone plumbed one of these in a proper primary/secondary set up? That is how I have it plumbed and plan to use a tekmar 356 to control the secondary loop flow to the load (1000 gal storage) by setting the boiler to output 180F and then varying the flow in the secondary loop such that the return temp to the boiler inlet stays above 150f. I want the primary pump to come on at 150F, not turn off, and the secondary pump feeding storage to turn on at 180F so I will need to make some changes, Just wondering what others have done...

Thanks.

Hi
I have the same boiler,came with the old controller and it only lasted a year and a bit running it on 1000 gal storage.
I haven't had any issues with the new controller except for an electrical connection that blew off most likely due to our terrible power.
I run the near boiler pump as well.
When my original controller went i was able to use the boiler by powering it with an extension cord through a aquastat.
All my pumps are controlled with aquastates,just the blower is controlled by the controller if i remember correctly,also i have relays between anything the controller turns on and off.Once i got my system where it worked i had other things to do like build a house.
So for years i have been going out to my building to shut off the boiler after storage has been topped up.
I am hoping to deal with the after burn shutdown this year.
My main pump from the boiler just feeds storage.
I have a separate pump that feeds my heat exchanger from the main loop with the return going back to the boiler return ahead of storage return.If storage temps drop below anouth agaustat setpoint this pump shuts off and my oil boiler fires up on the other side of the heat exchanger which is the feed underground to my house,which has glycol in it.
Mine is on it's 13th year i think
Not sure if any of that helps you.

Thanks. Not sure either but appreciate the time you took to reply.