Ecosmart LED BR30 from home depot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had multiple issues with newer lighting causing problems with our OTA TV reception, mostly related to the newer T-8 fluorescent electronic starters. We've had no problems with the LEDs even though some are on dimmers. Its probably not helping us that our OTA antenna is has a powered amplifier.
If someone has success with a ferrite filters or other noise reduction method I'd love to hear about it.

We've had multiple issues with newer lighting causing problems with our OTA TV reception, mostly related to the newer T-8 fluorescent electronic starters. We've had no problems with the LEDs even though some are on dimmers. Its probably not helping us that our OTA antenna is has a powered amplifier.
If someone has success with a ferrite filters or other noise reduction method I'd love to hear about it.

I was thinking yesterday that it might be partially due to the powered attenna I have as well. Thing is, without it, my reception really sucks LED lights or no LED lights.

What, exactly, do these cores do?

They work like RF chokes to suppress noise on the line. Ever seen a computer monitor cable with the cylinders at each end? Same thing. Lots of televisions and audio gear come with them on the power cords as well.

What, exactly, do these cores do?

I believe they use inductance to reduce the pass of high frequency signals while allowing lower frequency signals to pass.

They work like RF chokes to suppress noise on the line. Ever seen a computer monitor cable with the cylinders at each end? Same thing. Lots of televisions and audio gear come with them on the power cords as well.

Ah, yes....Thanks for the clarification. So placing such chokes on each end of my tv power cord could cut down on the interference from the dimmer switch? I wonder if the powered antenna cord would need them too? For $10 bucks I should just try them for the hell of it. Does anyone know if I can find these chokes at an electronic supply place rather than buying them on-line? Radio Shack for instance?

Wow RadioShack is still in business?.........

A couple of other tricks to reduce OTA interference: Try route your OTA cable to cross at right angles to electrical wires, running parallel gives much more opportunity for inductive interference. If you must use splitters, that little hole in the corner is for grounding, not just to anchor it to a wall. If you use an amplifier, install it near the antenna, not at the TV end, that way you are amplifying the incoming signal, but not the RFI induced along the way.

Grounding my splitter virtually eliminated my interference problems. YMMV.

TE

Reactions: semipro
Wow RadioShack is still in business?.........

Yes, but the employees are now dumb. Used to be the employees were actual nerds that knew what they were talking about. I had to buy two diodes for a motorcycle wiring project and thank goodness I knew what I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.