Ecotech Elaina hot smokes message during polar vortex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ultravorx

Nov 9, 2018
Poconos, Pennsylvania
Hey guys, so on the first night of the polar vortex. My ecoteck kept giving me a warning of hot smokes.

Checking the stove state, exhaust temp was hitting 515f. Message appears at 512f

The stove is running hard wood, power 3, with very restrictive exhaust, pellets -5, and draught at 4. Been running this all season at these settings, except power has never been past 2.

To solve the issue I lowered the draught to 2 and it fixed the message, tamps stayed back at 370f

It feels like the colder/denser air was causing it to burn more efficiently causing the higher temps. It definitely felt like the heat was pumping.

Is it typically to see better burns at these colder outside temps?

Frank

My Elena did not do this during the polar vortex in NJ. Either you are overfeeding pellets, or the room fan is partially blocked by dust. Open the stove and see if the room fan blades need to be cleaned.