EF5 Evolution turns off after 15 sec

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jed McCarthy

Apr 5, 2017
Wellington, NZ
I have an Enviro Evolution pellet burner which is approx. 7 years old.
It has developed a problem where it won't start and turns off after about 15 sec. The auger light comes on and the auger cycles about a second before it shuts off.
The 4th light down on the display flashes. I suspect it is possibly a sensor ?

Any help welcomed.

Regards,
Jed

4th down LED flashing would be indicative of the control board not identifying negative pressure inside the firebox. This will interrupt the start-up sequence pretty quickly, (like 15 seconds).

Do you hear the exhaust blower kick on when you try to start the stove up? If that blower kicks on but the stove promptly shuts down and flashes an error code, there could be an obstruction in the vent pipe that is not allowing the stove to establish significant enough negative pressure to actuate the vacuum switch. Try cleaning the vent pipe of any obstruction.

If the vent pipe is clear, and the exhaust blower does kick on when you start the stove, also make sure that the door gaskets or glass gaskets are in good condition and serviceable.

If the exhaust blower does not kick on when you try to start the stove, check the exhaust blower motor with a test cord plugged into a wall outlet (hot and neutral spades to motor leads) and or test the lines from the control board feeding the exhaust blower with a volt meter (blower needs a consistent 110-120v supplied to it by the control board). If the board is sending line voltage to the exhaust blower and it isn't running, the blower needs to be replaced. If the control board is sending low or no voltage, there is a control board problem.

Lastly, ruling out the, blower motor, control board, vent pipe obstruction and any faulty gaskets, you can check the air switch by jumping the leads together that connect to it from the control board. The switch is normally open, but closes once the exhaust blower kicks on and lowers the pressure inside the stove. If the stove runs fine with the air switch leads jumpered together, but won't run when connected to the air switch, the air switch needs replacement (not very common for these to go bad though - more likely a vent obstruction).

As I was reading your first response, was going to add the service manual ... but you remembered!:)

Just to let you know that I managed to resolve the issue, after following your fantastic advice. It was in fact an obstruction...a buildup of ash at the right angle junction at the bottom of the vent pipe. Cleaned it out, reassembled after making new gasket and it now works perfectly!
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. You have made my family very happy just at the start of our cold season. Let me know if you ever make it down to NZ and I'll buy you a beer :) Regards, Jed

Ha! Your Welcome!

Southern Hemisphere! Just noticed that. Stay Warm...

-Andy