EKO-40 Boiler Fan Noise And Boiler Shakes??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliz

Dec 27, 2009
9 miles from Quebec
I am only a few weeks into running my EKO-40 and a couple times I noticed the fan noise was not smooth, but making a chugging noise. Along with this the gassification was very loud and actually would slightly shake the boiler. It sure seemed like too much air or too little. Any suggestions? I haven't touched any settings except with the controller. Thanks

My Tarm will do that if I have too much wood gas. It kind of rumbles and it usually only happens when I reload before the prior load has burned to coals. Looks and sounds like a jet engine..lol

Another interesting thing I've noticed is when this happens, the boiler temp actually starts dropping. It goes down 2-3 degrees and stays there for a couple of minutes before starting to rise. I have no idea why it happens because there is so much heat going up the stack (usually 600+ F stack temp).

Bliz said:
I am only a few weeks into running my EKO-40 and a couple times I noticed the fan noise was not smooth, but making a chugging noise. Along with this the gassification was very loud and actually would slightly shake the boiler. It sure seemed like too much air or too little. Any suggestions? I haven't touched any settings except with the controller. Thanks
My Atmos would also shake & more than slightly. I had too much air. The adjustment I have covers both primary & secondary air. Other EKO owners I'm sure can help you with fine tuning your boiler, Randy

Step one - I'd pull the front cover off your EKO and at least verify that your air settings are close to factory spec's (in your manual).

Step two - burn two/three more weeks as-is.

Step three - once you've burned more than a month or so I'd say you're potentially ready to check out the "fine tuning the EKO" thread here in the boiler room and have some fun.

For what it's worth I've never had a "chugging" motor sound nor any "shaking"...

Like Twitch, I have had the chugging fan, but it doesn't last more than a few seconds and is generally only when there is a lot of gas because the fire hadn't burned completly out. Never had any shaking. Had a few puffs from exploding gas... but that is because I interupted a burn. I bet we have all done that as part of the learning curve... I recall someone on here that lost some eyebrows opening the door to top off... (any chance that is where your user name came from Singed Eyebrows???) ;0

WoodNotOil said:
Like Twitch, I have had the chugging fan, but it doesn't last more than a few seconds and is generally only when there is a lot of gas because the fire hadn't burned completly out. Never had any shaking. Had a few puffs from exploding gas... but that is because I interupted a burn. I bet we have all done that as part of the learning curve... I recall someone on here that lost some eyebrows opening the door to top off... (any chance that is where your user name came from Singed Eyebrows???) ;0
My "accident" was the result of lighting a gas boiler. I thought the air was purged & the flame went out. The thermocouple was still hot so the boiler was full of gas & I lit it. Almost blew my head off, I lost lots of hair. My Atmos has been kinder to me, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.