EKO boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on alot of things. heat loss, size of boiler, size of storage, ect...ect.... i also live in central ny just north of utica. i have a ekco 60 with 500 gallons storage. i started up the system two weeks ago, and have not yet let it go out. supposed to be warm this week so i am going to let it burn out to see how long my storage will last. personally i think its easier to just keep it going when its below freezing at night.

I am in Northern Illinois and since late October I have used 1.5 cords. Iam sure there is a more scientific calculation but I am just keeping track of my use and then going to compare it to the heating degrees days stat.. From my use so far I think 1.5 cords for Dec , Jan ,Feb and 1.25 for Nov and Mar plus another 1 for Oct/Apr should be in the ballpark Total 8

You are referring to face cords, I hope?

I have been running for a short while, and I estimate by use so far that 9-10 face cords (3-3.33 full cords) of hardwood will last the winter. I also have a supply of dry white birch to use for the starts and short, hot fires in the shoulder seasons. With my woodstove I was burning the same amount of wood, but I also couldn't use the room the stove is in all winter due to the heat. Now the house is at an even 71 degrees, humidity is no longer a problem, and every room in the house can be used without putting on or taking off extra clothes. For the first time in four years I can walk around without slippers and not have numb toes. It's all good.

Tony H said:
I am in Northern Illinois and since late October I have used 1.5 cords. Iam sure there is a more scientific calculation but I am just keeping track of my use and then going to compare it to the heating degrees days stat.. From my use so far I think 1.5 cords for Dec , Jan ,Feb and 1.25 for Nov and Mar plus another 1 for Oct/Apr should be in the ballpark Total 8

I'm with medman - I hope you're talking face cords. For me, 1 full cord did replace almost exactly 150 gallons of oil. My wood is much less than ideal, so good solid seasoned hardwood should be better.

With my Pacific Energy wood stove I was using about 3/4 of a face cord per week in the middle of the winter (southern Ontario), and total of about 12-14 face cords for the entire winter.

Since firing my EKO40 the first time in the middle of October, I have burned 6-1/2 face cords over 7 weeks. I cut my own wood, and it is all good quality hardwood (ash, maple, oak) dried 12-15 months. The only thing is that I tended to cut my wood short (~14") for my stove and I am using the same length for the boiler until next year. So my face cord is small, with 4 face cords to a full cord.

I am also heating my DHW and keeping my house warmer (70*F) with the boiler system compared to the wood stove, so it is not surprising that I am using more wood. My realistic guess is that I will use about 1.5 times as much wood as I did with my wood stove, so my total for the winter will be about 20 short face cords, or 5 full cords.

I have an eko 60 I installed last year, I heat an older home and cottage with it which totals around 4800 sq ft. I figure I went through around 8 full cords last year and it was not enough. I am planning on 10 cords this year.

Starting guess no less than 5 full cords probably 8. I look at it that anything left over is already set for next year. A protracted look is from the day you stored it is, "if it starts to rot before you get to use it...you have enough"...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.