Eko Model 25 Gasification Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JTWALL

Feb 2, 2013
Greene, NY
Model 25 (installed 2022) operation question?
Wood type: Mainly split Maple, length: 16 inches long; moisture 11-15% / seasoned a minimum of 2-years (under cover).
Model 25 adjustments: Primary air: 10mm, Secondary air: 3 turns CCW, fan opening 50%, chimney draft 0.06 IWC.
300 gallons of storage; warm floor heating system.
I start up the boiler per page 17 of the owner's manual. Gasification works properly; upper door has no creosote (see image).
When operating normally, it has a powerful gasification flame and the distinctive rumble inside the firebox.

Issue:
I can tell when the "anomally" has started...even though the combuster fan is operating and it has plenty of fuel, the boiler water temp starts to decline (I have a camera in the house so I can remotely monitor the boiler Controller; also, I will see light blue smoke coming from the chimney.)
If left long enough, the Controller will time-out then display "FUEL". In the pic below, I have other sensors that display the water temp leaving the boiler (top left) and returning to the boiler (top right). This "anomally" continues to repeat even though the boiler is at operating temp. Many times last season, my first trip to the boiler each day would find plenty of wood remaining, but all the coals gone and FUEL is there to greet me.

I stir the firewood around then start the boiler again. This situation happens again and again and again and... On any given day, I will have to go to the boiler 10-15 times; today I started the boiler at noon, it is now 3 pm... so far, I have had to go to the boiler 4 times in 3 hours to address the "FUEL" message! I have tried everything I can think of (smaller splits, cut wood to 8" length, change Controller settings, etc..) It does get old!

Any suggestions on how to greatly reduce my trips to the boiler? I don't recall my first Model 25 having this issue (or at least this severe.)
PS: Just this afternoon, I reduced the combustor fan speed to 70% (another attempt to solve this issue)

Regards, JT

image.png fuel.png normal.png

Model 25 (installed 2022) operation question?
Wood type: Mainly split Maple, length: 16 inches long; moisture 11-15% / seasoned a minimum of 2-years (under cover).
Model 25 adjustments: Primary air: 10mm, Secondary air: 3 turns CCW, fan opening 50%, chimney draft 0.06 IWC.
300 gallons of storage; warm floor heating system.
I start up the boiler per page 17 of the owner's manual. Gasification works properly; upper door has no creosote (see image).
When operating normally, it has a powerful gasification flame and the distinctive rumble inside the firebox.

Issue:
I can tell when the "anomally" has started...even though the combuster fan is operating and it has plenty of fuel, the boiler water temp starts to decline (I have a camera in the house so I can remotely monitor the boiler Controller; also, I will see light blue smoke coming from the chimney.)
If left long enough, the Controller will time-out then display "FUEL". In the pic below, I have other sensors that display the water temp leaving the boiler (top left) and returning to the boiler (top right). This "anomally" continues to repeat even though the boiler is at operating temp. Many times last season, my first trip to the boiler each day would find plenty of wood remaining, but all the coals gone and FUEL is there to greet me.

I stir the firewood around then start the boiler again. This situation happens again and again and again and... On any given day, I will have to go to the boiler 10-15 times; today I started the boiler at noon, it is now 3 pm... so far, I have had to go to the boiler 4 times in 3 hours to address the "FUEL" message! I have tried everything I can think of (smaller splits, cut wood to 8" length, change Controller settings, etc..) It does get old!

Any suggestions on how to greatly reduce my trips to the boiler? I don't recall my first Model 25 having this issue (or at least this severe.)
PS: Just this afternoon, I reduced the combustor fan speed to 70% (another attempt to solve this issue)

Regards, JT

View attachment 317767 View attachment 317768 View attachment 317769

Have a new EKO 25 that was not installed correctly so has overheated twice and flooded my basement. They put the Pressure relief valve in the wrong place! Should be right at the top on the water outlet pipe. Anyone have a photo of this valve correctly installed so I can show to the next plumber? Thanks, Mike

Have a new EKO 25 that was not installed correctly so has overheated twice and flooded my basement. They put the Pressure relief valve in the wrong place! Should be right at the top on the water outlet pipe. Anyone have a photo of this valve correctly installed so I can show to the next plumber? Thanks, Mike
Hard to believe! You might want to consider running a discharge line to a non-plastic drain or directly outside (pointed away from anything!) But something else must not be correct. Once the unit reaches its set point, a circulator pump should kick on to circulate water. If water is not being ciculated, then there is a bigger problem. Link is to a crappy video I made years ago about my first Model 25 () Good luck!

100_7934.JPG

I got thinking about this more overnight. First...pics of the setup would help understand! Second, an explanation of the system. Third, what size expansion tank is installed? Do you have a pressure/temp gauge installed near the boiler's output pipe?
Quick video of my boiler:

I have an EKO 25 with 300 gallons of storage. It could be the species of wood your trying to burn. I've been burning a hodgepodge of stuff I don't even know what it is. I've never touched the primary/secondary air controls. This problem does happen to me occasionally. Did you increase your fan work time timer so it waits longer before displaying FUEL? Are you running a barometric damper? I have a barometric damper right below the flue outlet. I monitor draft with a Dwyer MKII draft gauge. I've found it runs better with the barometric damper, no flue creosote in the two year's I've been burning.

Last edited: