Electric log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saberbass

Feb 20, 2020
Brandon, MB, Canada
Looking to get an electric log splitter. I get a cord of birch cut and split delivered so this is for extra trees around my yard . Sometimes when I go to the dump there is a tree log , stump pile that anyone can grab from. Wondering how many hp you would recommend ? I'm splitting mostly softer hard woods pine, poplar, ash and elm. The splitters mostly come in 4-5-6 and 9 hp. Thanks

I think you mean ton not hp.

I've got a 6 ton from Canadian Tire, yard works or whatever the brand is. Worked good, but it's slower. Only can count a handful of times where it would split something, obviously I didn't try to cut across knots. I bought a fiskers axe and used that 95% of the time instead.

Now we bought a gas powered splitter from Peavey mart and neither the electric splitter or axes get used anymore.

Moved to the Gear forum. There are several reviews and comments on electric log splitters here.

I picked this one up. 6 ton Southland. Lots of different brands but they are all basically the same. No complaints, was a bit impressed with its capabilities(I wasnt expecting much). I built a stand for it so its at waist height. Highly recommend that mod.
SELS60_76821_1000.jpg

I have the homelight 5 ton from home depot.5 cords yearly .

130.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
I have a 6 ton Wen splitter I bought on Amazon. I use it for anything that takes more than 2 whacks with the maul. I was impressed with what it can do especially since it's about the smallest size you can get. It does not like the really huge rounds or some of the super knotty stuff, but most everything I throw at it splits like butter even with some knots.
Side note: Make sure your power source is good. I was initially running mine on a 75' 16ga extension cord out to the shed and that severely limited the capability of the splitter! Now I have a 100a feed nearby and run it off a shorter 12ga cord. Night and day difference.

I judt bought the yardworks 9 ton from canadian tire on sale. I split a lot of wood with my friends 5 or 6 ton splitter before but couldn't get through some knotty stuff so I went for the biggest yardworks one.

Also if you get a bigger one you can get that attachment on the end that splits it into 4 splits instead of just 2, saving some time.

Reactions: hobbyheater
I judt bought the yardworks 9 ton from canadian tire on sale. I split a lot of wood with my friends 5 or 6 ton splitter before but couldn't get through some knotty stuff so I went for the biggest yardworks one.

Also if you get a bigger one you can get that attachment on the end that splits it into 4 splits instead of just 2, saving some time.
How does your 9 ton split compared to the 6 ton? I have the Yardworks 4 ton and have to split around big Knots !

How does your 9 ton split compared to the 6 ton? I have the Yardworks 4 ton and have to split around big Knots !
The 9 ton preformed much better. I ended up buying a 12 guage extention cord and that made it even better compared to my super Long and thin extention cord.

With the 12 guage 25 foot extention cable and my 9 ton splitter it rips through wood. As long as it's not really thick it'll go through any knot.

Reactions: hobbyheater
It worked for everything I needed it for.

That's what I did, I bought mine for 1/2 off.
Is that the one with the foot pedal? If so, is that more, or less convenient than the standard lever control?

How long have you had this little splitter? Is that 5 full cords or face cords?
5 full cords and some years 6.had since 2010.

Is that the one with the foot pedal? If so, is that more, or less convenient than the standard lever control?

Yes it has the foot pedal.

It's both more and less convenient. It's nice for big logs on the ground, but makes it difficult to use the splitter on a table or bench. Ultimately I prefer a standard hand lever.

The foot pedal is also cheap plastic and has required repair on more than one occasion.