Embers in flue elbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nat321

Oct 7, 2021
Ymir bc
Hey everyone,

I got my entire system cleaned about two months ago before winter set in.
I’ve been lighting hot fires every day for the last two months. Right now it’s an average of -20 where I live so fires are essential.
This morning I lit a fire and noticed a loud draft. (It’s -19 currently outside) I closed the door and the draft stopped but I heard popping sounds in my flue where it goes into the chimney. I snapped a photo from the air intake and noticed embers. I’ve had a chimney fire where embers were falling down, but this time just a few (minimal) dry non flame flakes were falling.
Is this normal burn off?
As I’m getting it to temp right now, the cracking has stopped. Once my fires get going they get hot and I maintain temp through out the day. Because I know there isn’t much creosote build up in there will this just burn off? My fire last night before bed had a beautiful bed of hot coals so I know I’m building good fires.
I attached a photo of looking up in from the air intake. And then once my fire got going I checked again and there was no embers. Is this normal?

IMG_7572.jpeg IMG_7573.jpeg

Any fire in the flue is not normal. Is the wood being burned still needing seasoning?
What stove is this with?