Empire Innsbrook direct vent low flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hoopsta1423

Oct 4, 2019
Hi all,

We've moved into a house with an Empire Innsbrook DVC21IN31P insert that has a low flame which really doesn't vary much between lo and hi.

Stupid question first - The "P" means this unit was originally purchase to be used with propane, but it is piped with natural gas. There is a conversion kit available, but I have no idea if that was ever installed. Would this unit (or any propane unit for that matter) work at all if it were piped with natural gas WITHOUT a conversion kit installed? Or can I safely assume that this unit was converted at some point by the simple fact that it works (just has a low flame)

Additional info:

Pilot stays lit just fine and the unit kicks on just fine when called for. Its vented vertically up through a chimney flue (~20ft). Inlet pressure measures 8"wc, manifold pressure measures ~7"wc on HI (this seems too high and I'm unsure if that would cause a low flame, but I also didn't see any place to adjust that manifold pressure on the valve)

I've played with the flue baffle but that didn't seem to make any difference whether it was completely open vs completely closed.

The manual discussed an air restrictor plate, but that wasn't installed and I could not locate a replacement. I tried fashioning my own plate but again it didn't seem to have any impact on flame height.

I tried to take the unit apart to blow out any cobwebs, but its a completely sealed burner box so I wasn't sure the best way to try blowing that out.

Let me know if you have any ideas or need more information
Thanks!

If your unit wasn't converted correctly, the flames WILL be lower...
The burner orifice for LP is a lot smaller than it is for NG, & will lessen the
amount of fuel getting to the burner. The only way to determine if that is
the cause is to pull the burner & look at the orifice. Are there markings on
the Hi-Lo regulator indicating NG or LP?

No markings on the regulator to suggest NG vs LP. I'll have to pull the burner and check the orifice. I'll report back when I do

Thanks!

If your unit wasn't converted correctly, the flames WILL be lower...
The burner orifice for LP is a lot smaller than it is for NG, & will lessen the
amount of fuel getting to the burner. The only way to determine if that is
the cause is to pull the burner & look at the orifice. Are there markings on
the Hi-Lo regulator indicating NG or LP?
You are absolutely right - burner orifice says 130M referring to the stock LP orifice...

With that knowledge now, do you have know of a good source for the conversion kit?

Also, is there any harm in drilling out the orifice with a 5/64 bit? That gets me closer to the #44 size without going over while I wait for the correct conversion kit?

Thanks!

Last edited: