Enamel dull, advice to restore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

noirenex

Jun 28, 2022
UK
Hiya, I’ve acquired a very old Faure “L’Antra” stove from the 1930s - it’s in pretty good condition and I’ve restored most of it, currently having a blacksmith make up a nice spacer as per the original Faure Pere Et Fils magazine article picture.

My question is, the enamel is quite dull, a wet cloth over the top shows all the detail but I can’t seem to find a product that will permanently bring back that glossy shine, any advice?

I’ve tried a few suggestions here with cleaners, from alcohol, baking soda and finally vinegar but no use so far. There’s a few chips too and from what I’ve read perhaps Jotul blue black touch up might be best to use?

image.jpg image.jpg ADB939FF-998E-424E-B45B-9FCB8684F84F.png

Last edited:
The stove has a nice patina. The finish is similar to the Jotul's blue-black finish which is not glossy. Perhaps this is not majolica enamel with its glossy clear coat?