Energex Pellets...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ4174

Jul 26, 2008
South Eastern PA
...are they any good??? I found a guy that has some for sale at a good price, but I know nothing about any of this so please give me your $.02

I'm getting a quadrafire mt. vernan and from what I understand that will burn pretty much anything...

Please advise...

I've had good luck with them. There are a few fines, but nothing too out of line with other brands that I've tried.

I've burned them in the past. Found that the tons I purchased varied a good deal. I've loved some and found some others that were full of fines and didn't burn as well. If the price was right, I would buy some again despite my experience.

LJ4174 said:
...are they any good??? I found a guy that has some for sale at a good price, but I know nothing about any of this so please give me your $.02

I'm getting a quadrafire mt. vernan and from what I understand that will burn pretty much anything...

Please advise...

I have just gotten into this pellet stove thing myself, and have never burned any, but there have been varying opinions on the Energex brand on this site.....do a search and you should find info on them.

This is one of the brands I used last season. Even though they burn very
dirty and created tons of clinkers in my stove compared to the others, they did
burn hot and keep my house nice and toasty.

kilarney said:
I've had good luck with them. There are a few fines, but nothing too out of line with other brands that I've tried.

Again, new to this, but what's a "fine"???

LJ4174 said:
Again, new to this, but what's a "fine"???
Sawdust :) It's usually caused by overhandling somewhere in the supply chain. It you get the pallets delivered all tightly wrapped then they're caused in the manufacturing process and should be minimal. If you get them restacked by hand (the factory does the pallet stacking & wrapping with a robot) then if the stackers threw the bags around you'll get more because the smacking around of the bags cause the pellets to break up.

I wouldn't hesitate at $210 per ton.

[/quote]Sawdust :) It's usually caused by overhandling somewhere in the supply chain. It you get the pallets delivered all tightly wrapped then they're caused in the manufacturing process and should be minimal. If you get them restacked by hand (the factory does the pallet stacking & wrapping with a robot) then if the stackers threw the bags around you'll get more because the smacking around of the bags cause the pellets to break up.[/quote]

So what do you do with this "fine" do you just put it in the stove or try not to???

kilarney said:
I wouldn't hesitate at $210 per ton.

Yeah, it stinks cause this guy only has 1 ton, but 1 ton at this point is better than no tons... :)

I have just burned about a bag, no problem so far. On burn in, I ran it on high for 2.5 hours and some clinkers, I just pull the dump door to rid them. I am running on medium and no clinkers, for $210 I would grab them in a second.

I have a ton of Green Supreme. And a ton of Energex. Both sitting up on pallets in my basement.

I burned the Green Supreme's last year as well. They are a good pellet.

I noticed no real difference between them and the Energex. I have burned 1 bag of each this year.

The Green Supreme's were $309 and the Energex were $314 Picked up.

If you can get them for just over $200 I would grab them.

---Nailer---

I recently had my MT Vernon installed and have burned about 2 bags of energex. They appear to be burning quite well in my stove and have not had any issues. I paid about $275/ton.

I literally just got an email from this guy saying that someone beat me by 6 minutes... What a bunch of CRAP!!! Oh well, I guess I don't have to worry about how good these Pellets are now anyway...

Hopefully another source will come through so I can grab 2 more tons...

Hey Eric - How do you like your Mt. Vernan? That's the same stove I'm getting...

LJ4174 said:
So what do you do with this "fine" do you just put it in the stove or try not to???
Depends. Some stoves can get their augers gummed up with too many fines. Some stoves just push them into the firepot (and they burn all sparkly - very pretty :) ). I just let go in the stove but I'm burning a nice clean pellet right now (Hamer Hot Ones).

Even if your stove doesn't have a problem with them, if you have dust allergies or asthma the extra dust in the air from the fines (they all won't go into the hopper - some will escape in the air) may cause you breathing issues.

You can make a simple pellet vac out of $20 worth of plastic piping and a Shop Vac - pour the pellets in the top, they fall out the bottom into a bucket and the fines are sucked into the vac. If you do a search on "pellet vac" you'll find a recent thread on building one for your garage.

LJ4174 said:
Hey Eric - How do you like your Mt. Vernan? That's the same stove I'm getting...

So far I couldn't be happier with it. It is easy to use and clean. Surprised me on how much heat it puts out. I've only used to to take the chill off or dampness out of the air so mostly run on low so far. On low it is very quiet (high w/ normal fan is another story, but that is the trade off for the heat you get).
I had debated with getting the Castile, but for the price difference at my dealer, the capacity and added features it didn't make sense to go that way.

Something you may want to think about ahead of time is where to put the wall control and how you will get the wire there. I probably spent half a day working on that effort alone.

I burned energex last year & they were the most dirty filthy pellet it has ever been my mis fortune to burn. I had to clean the firepot grate every 1/2 bag burning energex as opposed to cleaning the firepot once every 4 bags of any other brand of pellet. That being said & in light of the current shortage of pellets in Ct for $210.oo a ton , even I would buy them again because the other brands are selling 300 to 359 per ton.
But I would not buy energex at 300/ton if I could buy anything else at the same price.

energex does burn & give good heat but with massave amounts of soot creosote & clinkers.

I dont like to clean out my pellet stove, even a little bit.But, i do what I must,regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.