Engineered Fuel - is it worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
So I've seen a lot of things on You Tube about using engineered fuel in Small engines. OK I get it, it is better for your equipment. However at $28 bucks a gallon, versus $4.00 a gallon for pump gas, after 20 gallons of fuel, the money I save from using pump gas would be enough to buy a brand new saw. So is it worth the expense to buy the engineered fuel?

It is a convenience product for folks that do not use much mixed fuel, or are otherwise uncomfortable mixing it. I used to buy it when we had 1/8th acre property. One pottle would last almost 2 summers, just used in a trimmer.
Now we have 10 acres and a wood furnace so I mix about 5 gallons per year. I just buy 91 ethanol free, add stabil 360, and use 2.6oz Stihl silver bottle oil/gallon.

Nope, its convenience, go to this web site https://www.pure-gas.org/ pick your state and see where you can get ethanol free gas then mix with your chainsaws brand of oil.

I looked at aspen fuel, but at $6/qt ON SALE, and the hour drive to go get it, it wasn't worth it. I pour almost a quart at a time into the tank on my bigger saw, and it doesn't last very long. When 20 gallons can buy a new saw, that's expensive fuel.

If you're selling it you'd think it's the greatest thing since the invention of the chainsaw. IMHO it's out there for people that run their 2 strokes very little and or are worried about when they store them. If I was worried about it I'd buy a gallon of AV gas for $7 and mix it.

I look at it this way.. and this is what I do. During splitting season for my splitter.. Im running pump gas as Im always putting in fresh fuel. When I get done splitting ill put the 4 stroke premium gas in and it pretty much sits and gets used every so often

My saws and blowers I switched to the echo red armor.. Since switching I have no carb issues when they have sat for months there are many additive to this oil to help out with the ethanol issues. every so often I purchase a can of ethanol free 2 stroke and run it through the saws... I really can see spending that kind of money and running the equipment constantly

I add Seafoam to my mix
had a saw that was a customer saw that sat for 6 years.A few extra pulls but it fired up and cut fine.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Short answer: No

I prefer to mix my own fuel. Way cheaper and I know it has the right amount of oil in it and it also has the oil I want in it. I usually run either Maxima Castor 927 or Maxima Fomula K2.

I got a gallon of that Stihl gas when I got the new 170 this summer. Why, as my father says "more money than brains" But i figured I'd break it in on it. It does run smooth. I was on a fuel kick. We can get non ethanol in PA., so I started mixing with that.

I buy the premixed at HD for the convenience and considering how often I use my saw and BG 85 blower/vacuum.

Bought a second set of the gutter cleaning tubes so I can get over two stories with my feet on the ground. BIL slipped off his ladder cleaning gutters last year and broke his ankle.

I just buy 91 ethanol free, add stabil 360, and use 2.6oz Stihl silver bottle oil/gallon.

This is what I do too, but 93.

You might not even need to add the Stabil. I don't run Stihl products or oil, but every single two stroke oil I've used in the last 10 years for both dirt bikes and chainsaws has all had fuel stabilizer built in regardless of brand. I'd actually be surprised Stihl oil didn't, but haven't bothered to check. I made a 5 gallon batch 4-5 years ago before being forced to take a few year break from wood, and I just used the last of it this spring when starting back up. Worked just fine. I was just using standard Husqvarna stuff, nothing special.

This is what I do too, but 93.

You might not even need to add the Stabil. I don't run Stihl products or oil, but every single two stroke oil I've used in the last 10 years for both dirt bikes and chainsaws has all had fuel stabilizer built in regardless of brand. I'd actually be surprised Stihl oil didn't, but haven't bothered to check. I made a 5 gallon batch 4-5 years ago before being forced to take a few year break from wood, and I just used the last of it this spring when starting back up. Worked just fine. I was just using standard Husqvarna stuff, nothing special.
The Stabil is already in the 5 gallon can, because I never know how long until it will be needed for winter storage fuel for motorcycle, mower, generator, splitter and saws.
Admittedly, I overthink the fuel situation for both gas and diesel...

Reactions: j7art2
BTW Stabil also has shelf life, so dont buy a jumbo container and keep it around for years.