England stove, misaligned ash pan, unacceptable response from manufacturer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fred wark

Mar 28, 2008
SE Michigan
I just purchased a 15-W03. A few days ago, I finally emptied ash from the firebox , down into the pan. . I was very disappointed, when removing the ash pan, to find that the pan is not situated directly below the hole, and that about half of the ash falls around the outside of the stove. Very poor design as far as I am concerned. I was even more disappointed by the response I received from the manufacturer. I was simply told that the best way to remove ash is with a shovel or a vacuum, and directly out of the firebox, without even trying to use the ash pan. Go to homedepot.com, do a search for the England stove model 15-W03. You should see my question to the manufacturer (England ), and their response, posted yesterday Nov 29 2020 They say the best way to remove ash is with a shovel or vacuum. They never did tell me why the pan is not directly below the hole.

Englander 2,000 sq. ft. EPA Certified Wood-Burning Stove-15-W03 - The Home Depot scroll down to the questions and answers portion of this page, to see my complaint and Englands response

I wonder if they just reused the ashpan from the smaller stove? If it's any consolation I have not used the ash pan on either of our past 2 stoves and they were both much more expensive.

Other than the lousy ashpan design how is the stove working for you?

I like using the ash pan on our stove. I think it reduces the amount of ash that gets into the air when removing ash from the stove.

That's not a good response from something that is not right from the factory.i have not used the ash pan on my last 2 stoves.imo they are a royal pain in the rear.

That's not a good response from something that is not right from the factory.i have not used the ash pan on my last 2 stoves.imo they are a royal pain in the rear.
I agree, thats not a good response from manufacturer. But why are ash pans a royal pain? Here's how mine works:
20201201_162331.jpg20201201_162356.jpg20201201_162408.jpg20201201_162539.jpg20201201_162821.jpg

Saves me from having to go get an ash bucket every time I want to remove some ash.

Reactions: Mech e
I agree, thats not a good response from manufacturer. But why are ash pans a royal pain? Here's how mine works:
View attachment 268148View attachment 268149View attachment 268150View attachment 268151View attachment 268152

Saves me from having to go get an ash bucket every time I want to remove some ash.
Got to pull the plug ,rake all the ashes into pan then bring the pan outside and dump ashes into metal pail.,just me I don't like them to each their own.glad it works for you.cheers

Reactions: Sailrmike
Got to pull the plug ,rake all the ashes into pan then bring the pan outside and dump ashes into metal pail.,just me I don't like them to each their own.glad it works for you.cheers
Gotcha, I think it's key to have a big enough pan to be able to empty it once every week or two. A lot of ashpans are just way too small

Reactions: marty319
I have never used the ash pan. As far as I am concerned, they can design the stupid things out of these stoves. Really I forget I even have it until I have to shovel around the plug with my ash shovel. I have a nice ash pail, and it is easy enough to shovel out the ash and bring it outside once the ash is completely cool.

Reactions: marty319
If you keep the ash pan clean it can make a dandy bun warmer. ;)