Englander 10-CPM Exhaust Blower Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litzner

Aug 31, 2015
Michigan
I am preforming my first annual maintenance on my CPM-25 10-CPM and I have found the the exhaust blower was not seated correctly ( the screw holes were offset and the screws were not fastened all the way ) so the exhaust blower was sucking in air from inside the unit.

I was wondering, instead of ordering a new gasket could I instead just use RTV Copper which is rated up to 700F? I use RTV copper on headers, I think it would seal much better then the gasket that was on there and would cost far less then replaced that gasket every year.

Does anyone see any issue with using RTV Copper?

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...-temperature-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-detail

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Litzner. What brand stove is a CPM-25? Englander? I can find 25-XXX or 10-CPM... It helps if you put it in your signature line (edit on your profile page) so it shows up at the bottom of your thread and you should mention brand in the title of your thread as it will catch the eyes of fellow owners.

If it is an Englander, stoveguy2esw is the master tech at England's. He would probably appreciate the head's up of an assembly issue.

Not sure about the RTV Copper - there are silicone gaskets on mine...

Welcome to the forum Litzner. What brand stove is a CPM-25? Englander? I can find 25-XXX or 10-CPM... It helps if you put it in your signature line (edit on your profile page) so it shows up at the bottom of your thread and you should mention brand in the title of your thread as it will catch the eyes of fellow owners.

If it is an Englander, stoveguy2esw is the master tech at England's. He would probably appreciate the head's up of an assembly issue.

Not sure about the RTV Copper - there are silicone gaskets on mine...

I think you are right it is a 10-CPM, I was mixing it up with the 25-PDV I almost ordered. I hear Mike is the guy with all the right answers, he quickly solved an issue I was having last winter with the stove.

As for more details on the issue, it looked like the holes to where the blower mounted were not lined up correctly with the blower itself. So the screws that mounted it were very crooked and because of that could not be tightened completely around the top (this probably explaines why I always had to run the exhaust blower at full speed last season to get a good burn, and maybe why I had to put the stove in corn mode as well). You could see a small gap (1/16") between the mount, the gasket and the blower.

If I cant line up the holes when I put it back on I will just widen the holes in the blower a little on the drill press, should be fine.

yes the 700F RTV is suitable though it makes it more difficult to remove the blower for cleaning

Thanks for the info Mike!

If you are available for one more question, out of curiosity, how much slack should be in the pot stir chain? I tightened it a bit last night, as if I pinched the chain it could make contact with itself.

If you are available for one more question, out of curiosity, how much slack should be in the pot stir chain? I tightened it a bit last night, as if I pinched the chain it could make contact with itself.

if the chain can be pinched to where the two are touching that's a little looser than I like to set them, I like to leave them where you can get to within about an either inch but not touch, if they are too loose the chain could "skip" or possibly come off

Status
Not open for further replies.