Englander 10CDV burn pot filling up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cta0208

Jan 17, 2018
Pennsylvania
hi there, I am currently having an issue with my pellet stove burn pot filling up with pellets and not burning them down to ash. It causes my window to turn black on the edges. I have to keep using a stir stick to break down all the clumps to keep it burning good. I’ve tried everything from cleaning to different pellets and nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 331
Is your stove clean? Really clean? Englanders like good air flow and the exhaust path has to be kept clean. Have you checked for air leaks around your gaskets? I have a 55PDV22 so it is a little different but Englanders are finicky with air flow. Does your burn pot have a gasket? If so has it ever been replaced? You could check the door gasket as well with the dollar bill test.

What is the dollar bill test? I truthfully have never done that before. I’ve had it cleaned by a professional stove place and it still was doing it.

I just had this problem and it was my firepot gasket. Clean the stove and exhaust path really good, change the gasket a and you should be fine.

The dollar bill test is simple. Put a dollar bill between the door and the stove and shut the door and push the handle down as you normally would. If the dollar bill has resistance when you pull on it your door gasket is fine. If the bill slides out without resistance the gasket will need to be replaced. You can also check your seals with a source of smoke while the stove is running. Light something that produces smoke and run it around the seals. If the smoke gets sucked into the stove around the gasket it will need to be replaced. The burn pot gasket is likely the cause. As Ssyko always says: "is it REALLY clean?" Englanders need a clean exhaust path. Check out the threads on cleaning the stove with a leaf blower.

Mine from what I can remember never had a gasket for the burn pot, it just sits with metal edges.

I’ll defintely do the dollar bill test.

Mine from what I can remember never had a gasket for the burn pot, it just sits with metal edges.

I’ll defintely do the dollar bill test.
no cta yours does not have a gasket under the plate. When you clean out under the fire plate get a couple hillman plugs or earth magnets and cover the 2 holes on the sides in the bottom of the pot.that will direct more air up through the holes in the fire plate and give you a better burn. You can also plug some of the holes in the fire plate(the outer edge closest to the door)