Englander 10CPM vs Cumberland MF3800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Acton

Oct 21, 2014
MI
My back, knees and loss of vacation time have finally told me that cutting, splitting and hauling cord wood will soon be a thing of the past. I will be sad to retire the hearthstone stove but it is time to jump in to pellets.

I have "beaten the dead horse" with stove research and decided to chime in and ask a few questions, as the members here seem to have the greatest wealth of knowledge around.

The total budget for appliances is $5,000, but since I am too cheap to pay for fuel half of the budget will go towards a pellet mill (raw materials are in ample supply). That leaves me with a sub $2,500 pellet stove and the above mentioned seem to be a decent fit.

In terms of reliability is one better than the other?

What are the noise levels?

Both are remote thermostat capable but will they automatically slow fan speed and feed rate according temp or is it just an on/off scenario?

Is there another stove that might be recommended in the sub $2,500 range?

Thank you in advance for your help

pellet mill (raw materials are in ample supply).

From the bit we have seen on attempts of small scale mills, the mill may be a big waste of money and time... What raw materials are you planning on utilizing? There are some that burn corn - use the search box at the top right.

Randy,
I was worn out with wood too but will likely still burn it. Just needed a break from it. No time for it here either currently.

What and how many square feet are you trying to do? I know nothing about pellet mills but have read a bunch and will agree with Lake Girl from what I have found researching about it. Your case may be different???

$2,900 gets you into a Harman P43 which is a very good and dependable stove. Low maintenance and cleaning. Do some research here as she suggested on pellet mills and stoves. Another thing on the pellet mill will be a lot of time but easier labor than wood. Think things thru and read and ask questions. I thought about a mill too and always have plenty of saw dust but it is not for me.

$5,000 gets you into about whatever pellet stove you want. Not trying to change your mind on anything but I personally haven't seen too many successful producers of their own pellets. What raw materials are you thinking of?

That is the reason I am looking at multi fuel stoves. Corn, cherry pits and mass produced pellets are in supply in my area. So there is always a fuel to use.

The Sedore stove is actually a serious contender to pair with my DIY pellets as it will burn anything, so even if my pellets are horrid I still have free fuel.

I go into the pellet making aspect knowing that it has its pitfalls, but as the saying goes "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Snowy Rivers here is a shell burner. I've only messed a little with a corn pellet mix myself but having access to the fuels you do might be a game changer for me here. I am not real familiar with any of the pits, shells, etc; but there are some here. I'll check that Sedore stove out. Never heard of it.

The others here that would be helpful answering you is Bioburner, Rona, Sidecarflip and some others along with Snowy. Multi fuel nixes the Harmans unless you find a PC45. Plug the stoves you are looking at into the search bar and see what pops up. Google them too since there might be other info and sources.

From what little I know burning alternatives to pellets I'd really research these multi fuel stoves and see who and what are having good results. I am resourcing corn now for next year to mix with pellets to cut heating costs. I'd love to have numerous cheaper options. Looks like you might be barking up the right tree having access to what you do.

IIRC, there was some discussion thread on quality of pellets from Michigan from some of the locals there ... some pellets that were not good heat producers (Isabella or Kirtlands?). Feedstock and compression value is important in pellet quality.

Bags,

My wife, daughter and I have a 1900ft L shaped ranch. Our HearthStone Heritage does a good job of heating most of the house. I think it is undersized with a usable firebox of about 1.5 cubic feet.

We go through about 4-5 full cord of hardwood per season which accounts for roughly 70% of our heating.

I wanted to oversize a pellet stove and make sure it was rated for at least 2,200ft so that it wasn't constantly burning.

As I live on a 6 acre heavily wooded lot, in the middle of 40 acres similarly wooded, the supply of leaves, fallen limbs, etc is in abundance. Couple that with free wood chips from the local utility company.....well you can see!!

That Sedore is interesting. You know anyone using one? How much are they? Seems like they are claiming you can put about anything in it including wood. Does it have any blowers or heat distribution blowers? Just saw it requires no electric but wondering if a blower was optional. looks pretty cool and it's definitely different. I know 218 is a Northern MN area code. My Woodmaster is from MN and many heating units as well. They might be onto something....

The Sedore is about as ugly as they come (which actually gives it appeal) but they will burn everything from cord wood to cow dung!!

Its basically a radiant only stove but has the option for water coils. Its a bit expensive (if I recall around $3000) but claims from owners are that it burns smoke free with stacks temps less than half of a typical wood burner.

Don't know anyone that has one but I have been emailing with MN about the stove. They have made some recent updates with secondary combustion air which makes it a fairly efficient stove.

They are on the EPA exempt list qualifying as a furnace.

I have some reservations but its quirky enough that its on my list.

Reactions: bags
Season 5 with my CPM. Works wonderfully.

Theres two little used CPMs on CL in MN for $800 or less and pictures looked good and I think they said they only used wood pellets(city slickers) Also a pellet mill and hammer mill on CL for pretty cheap too.
Never heard of the Sedore and that's my phone area but that area is almost upper half the state.
If it can go thru a stove auger I have tried it I think except olive pits. There was a nut processing plant and bagging operation in Rogers, MN

Ive been using a Cumberland 3650 for about 5 or 6 years. I bought it remanufactured for a fraction of the price of a new one. I really like it. The 3800 is the newer version. I also have a Harman Accentra and I prefer the 3650 to the Accentra. Its a good corn burner and it will light on corn. I have to admit that I mostly burn pellets in it. I ran out of pellets a few years ago and bought some corn and was pleased with the way it burned. I know nothing of the CPM so cannot comment. I would also add that you could buy one of each used for the price you are considering buying new. I have owned 5 pellet / corn stoves in 10 years and bought them all used. I haven't had any issues with them other then normal wear and tear on my part.

Reactions: Bioburner
with the 3800 no longer being made I would be a bit concerned with parts availabilty in the future. Ardisam is supposed to support the 3800 for 10 yrs. but what happens after that.

That is a valid point. Things like the auger and blower are off the shelf, burn pot I intend to make so its good to have fabrication skills. Controller is pretty specific, my thought is to try some other type of controller. I actually was thinking worse case scenario...pull the entire system from a used stove and put in the 3650. I realize this is a pretty tall order. Lastly I would just have to get a different stove. Very valid point for a new buyer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.