Englander 25-EP New but New to this forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acftmechus

Dec 7, 2014
NH
I've been reading the posts for nearly 4 years and find this site to be the most informative on the net.

I replaced an old Avalon PS-900 4 years ago with the 25-EP, in the finished basement. The Avalon was 1991 build. Parts were difficult to locate and expensive when I could get them. I bought my Englander from Lowe's with a good deal. I wasn't with this pellet stove until this year when I decided to really take care of the sealing and proper cleaning. I can tell you this stove burns better and hotter than the Avalon. Being an Aircraft Mechanic by trade working on the stove is simple just needs TLC. Other than that I never had an issue with this stove and I'm thinking about replacing my main floor wood stove insert with the 25-EPI.

I'm an aircraft mechanic also, retired, so tweaking something as simple as a pellet stove is so easy. I've done something every season to my Englander to improve it and now four seasons later all I can say is this thing is a heating beast. Some days I wonder how it hasn't overfired and shut down.

Reactions: Shane1
I'm an aircraft mechanic also, retired, so tweaking something as simple as a pellet stove is so easy. I've done something every season to my Englander to improve it and now four seasons later all I can say is this thing is a heating beast. Some days I wonder how it hasn't overfired and shut down.

I'm curious to know what you've done.

I'm curious to know what you've done.

Air flow through the burn pot, or lack of it, was the biggest issue I had with my stove. It burned okay when new but with every mod I made It got better and better to the point where I can now control the burn air setting to get the most out of any pellet I use

The improvements I made include:

-Replaced the restrictive OAK intake louvers with a coarse screen.

-Added a few more holes to the burn pot and also to the intake area behind the pot.

-Sealed the area between the burn pot and flange to eliminate the excessive gaps where air flowed around the pot instead of going through it.

-Added a piece of stainless steel to close up the air-wash gap for the glass. This increased the air velocity over the glass and also restricted that flow enough to direct more air through the burn pot. The glass stays much cleaner since this mod and rarely needs cleaning even after burning more than 20-25 bags.

What do you burn in it, pellets?

My stove is multifuel but all I can find around here are pellets to burn. I did however leave the stirrer in on the recommendation of Englander and it ensures all the pellets are burned completely. Never a clinker or a burn pot full of ash.