Englander 25-PDV & 25-PDVC igniter replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
There seems to be a few tricks to replace one of these igniters for best results.
Here is what we have found
First unplug the pellet stove and disconnect the 2 white igniter wires from the control panel lugs 9 & 10 and then loosen the igniter collar bolt and pull out the old igniter.
Then pull off the drill hole cap and leave it off for better air flow. Put a wire down the drill hole through the igniter tube and into the inlet air hole and down into the inlet air pipe to make sure there is no hard ash blocking the air from flowing around the igniter.
Pic 1 - Wire diagram
Pic 2 & 3 - adjust the collar bolt on the new igniter so there is approx 1/8” between the front tip of the igniter and the burn pot. Air must flow around the igniter element and thru the hole in the burn pot to properly light the pellets on fire with super hot air.
Pic 4 - Loosen the burn pot bolts and remove the burn pot.
Pic 5 - Clean the igniter tube with a bottle style wire brush, then vacuum out any debris and spray the inside with dry moly to make the air flow better. Insert the new igniter and plug the 2 white igniter wires into tabs 9 & 10 on the back of the control panel.
Pic 6 - using a socket wrench, select the appropriate size socket and put it over the tip of the igniter and then tighten the igniter tube set bolt to secure the igniter. The socket keeps the igniter centered so it will be aligned when the bolt is tightened.
Pic 7 - Install a new burnpot gasket so no heated igniter air will be lost behind the burnpot.
Pic 8 - Clean the burn pot and spray with dry moly and re-install the burn pot and position the burnpot so as much of the igniter tip as possible can be seen through the hole in the burnpot.
Pic 9 - Plug in stove, press on and time how long it takes to see fire.
Pic 10 - See sparks
Pic 11 - The fire should start in approx 2 - 6 mins
Note1: One last trick is if the new collar on the replacement igniter does not fit in the igniter tube and sometimes it does not, then remove the collar from the original igniter and use it.
Note2: For an even faster startup just put a small handful of pellets in front of the igniter hole before turning on the pellet stove.

Attachments

• 1-WireDiagram.jpg
    1-WireDiagram.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,438
  • 2-ReplacementIgniter.jpg
    2-ReplacementIgniter.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 668
  • 3-ReplacementIgniterCollar.jpg
    3-ReplacementIgniterCollar.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 597
  • 4-BurnPotBolts.jpg
    4-BurnPotBolts.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 589
  • 5-InsertReplacementIgniter.jpg
    5-InsertReplacementIgniter.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 674
  • 6-SocketHoldsIgniterInCenter.jpg
    6-SocketHoldsIgniterInCenter.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 618
  • 7-NewBurnPotGasket.jpg
    7-NewBurnPotGasket.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 600
  • 8-ReplaceBurnPot.jpg
    8-ReplaceBurnPot.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 555
  • 9-ControlPanelInStartUp.jpg
    9-ControlPanelInStartUp.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 520
  • 10-RedHotIgniter.jpg
    10-RedHotIgniter.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 496
  • 11-FireInLessThanSixMins.jpg
    11-FireInLessThanSixMins.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Thanks Don. What size socket to loosen set bolt, so I can adjust my igniter distance?
Pics always help so much. Could you explain/show drill hole cap?
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Don. What size socket to loosen set bolt, so I can adjust my igniter distance?
Pics always help so much. Could you explain/show drill hole cap?
Thanks
Hi
I do not remember what size.
The drill hole cap is right near the bolt and you can pry it off with a small flat blade screw driver.

Just pulled my igniter tonight. Large set screw collar is not flush with the ring at rear. Your igniter pic shows it flush, will follow that.
To bench test igniter, is it 120VAC? Another post showed that,don't remember which one.
Thanks

Just pulled my igniter tonight. Large set screw collar is not flush with the ring at rear. Your igniter pic shows it flush, will follow that.
To bench test igniter, is it 120VAC? Another post showed that,don't remember which one.
Thanks
I had to pull the collar out from the flat ring a bit so air can flow over the front of the igniter and thru the igniter hole.
The igniter is 120 VAC and should read approx 50 Ohms on a volt-ohm multi-meter.

I finally got a reply from an e-mail I sent to Englander about igniter placement. Pretty sad, if this is an indicator of the quality of people working for Englander;
DEAR VALUE CUSTOMER , THE IGNITER TO BE ADJUSTED MUST BE VIEW FROM THE FRONT OF THE STOVE. *NOTE : THIS IS A 2 PERSON OPERATION, SO HAVE SOME HELP. VIEWING THE IGNITER FROM THE FROMNT OF THE STOVE , THE IGNITER IS A HOLE ABOUT ¼’ BIG RIGHT ABOVE THE PLATE ON THE RIGHT SIDE, THE IGNITER SHOULD BE LINE IN THE CENTER OF THE HOLE & THE TIP OF THEMIGNITER SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN A ¼ ‘ BACK IN THE HOLE.
Now is that 1/4" with or without burn pot in place?
Thanks.

I finally got a reply from an e-mail I sent to Englander about igniter placement. Pretty sad, if this is an indicator of the quality of people working for Englander;
DEAR VALUE CUSTOMER , THE IGNITER TO BE ADJUSTED MUST BE VIEW FROM THE FRONT OF THE STOVE. *NOTE : THIS IS A 2 PERSON OPERATION, SO HAVE SOME HELP. VIEWING THE IGNITER FROM THE FROMNT OF THE STOVE , THE IGNITER IS A HOLE ABOUT ¼’ BIG RIGHT ABOVE THE PLATE ON THE RIGHT SIDE, THE IGNITER SHOULD BE LINE IN THE CENTER OF THE HOLE & THE TIP OF THEMIGNITER SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN A ¼ ‘ BACK IN THE HOLE.
Now is that 1/4" with or without burn pot in place?
Thanks.
That is very basic, but it should also say to remove the drill hole cap and poke a wire in thru the igniter tube down into the air inlet tube to assure it is not clogged. If it is clogged, then no air will come up around the igniter and lite the pellets on fire!
Also If the fuse on the control panel blows, what do you do besides replace it? Usually there is a cause!
Try googling this phrase and see how much info comes up?
“Procedure to Diagnose Issue When your Pellet Stove Control Panel Fuse Blows”