Englander 25-PDV burn question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tmyers said:
OK now we have a new development. The stove is now making a noise. Its kind of a whistling/humming/whirling noise? I sure hope the combustion blower is not going!
Still having the overflow problem with the pot if I set the feed rate higher than 3. Current bottom button settings are 3 9 1. It just is not throwing heat as it should. It was 28F outside today and the darn thing was set on 3 all day. At that rate it should be hotter than heck in my house! I guess I will need to make a phone call to tech support today after work. sigh!

Is that whirling noise coming from the room air blower? Try changing the room air blower speed and see if the noise changes. I'm on my 4 the blower and its making the same noises again.

So my control board should be on "C" ? I can check that tonight when I shut down to clean. Thanks will post in a bit with what mode it is on. Sigh..........:)
It makes no difference what speed the room fan is on. The noise comes and goes randomly.
Here is a recording of the noise.

tmyers said:
So my control board should be on "C" ? I can check that tonight when I shut down to clean. Thanks will post in a bit with what mode it is on. Sigh..........:)
It makes no difference what speed the room fan is on. The noise comes and goes randomly.

Yea the noise comes and goes but I ment when its making the noise changing the speed changes the pitch of the noise... mine did that on each new blower. the more I used it the less random it got and louder

I am having the same problem. I have found an air leak in my PDV. I found it by accident I used my shop vac to blow out into the air intake to force air through the burn pot to see if I could get rid of some of the ash build up with out turning it off. When I did that I noticed smoke coming from the where the top auger goes into the auger tube. I realized that if smoke is coming out of here when I force air in then air is getting sucked in through here also. I have replaced the gasket but still have the same problem so after looking at it more carefully I see that the smoke is coming through the bearing. I have the auger block bearing on order and should get it on Tues.

After my burn pot fills up I don't see any more air coming from the holes in the sides of the pot but if you look carefully you can see that air is being pulled down through the auger tube.

I know what the feed rate setting and blower setting are but what are the "bottom 3 settings" that I've seen people talk about here. How do I check what mine are set at? How do I adjust them? How do they work?

burnit said:
I know what the feed rate setting and blower setting are but what are the "bottom 3 settings" that I've seen people talk about here. How do I check what mine are set at? How do I adjust them? How do they work?

Simply press each button, and the setting will show in the display above. They can be adjusted by pressing the one to change, then press both up or both down arrows at the same time. They change the speed and timing of the auger motor (Low Fuel Feed), and combustion blower (Low Burn Air). The Air On Temp should always stay on 1.

Don't change the settings unless you're having a burn problem.

If I remember correctly, a PDV should be set at 6-4-1 from the factory.

OK I checked which setting the board was on. It was on "A" for some reason. I have now changed it to "C" so I am hoping that this will help. The stove has shut down twice today with an error code of "E 3". I am hoping that it was because of the incorrect control board setting and not actually the combustion blower. I know that there is no obstruction in the "OAK" or exhaust so I guess we will see!!!!!!!!:)
Will post results later.

Tonya

Thanks imacman. I checked and mine was set to 3-3-2. I changed the 2 to 1 according to what you said it should always be 1. I left the others at 3 until I can get the air leak fixed it worked great last year at these setting so why change them now.

All I can say is WOW! What a difference! I had no idea this stove could throw so much heat! It must have been on mode "A" since I got it.
Thanks smokeythebear for the idea to check it. Just in time too it is -14F here tonight. I have only heard it make the "noise" once since I fired it back up about 7-8 hours ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Tonya

tmyers said:
All I can say is WOW! What a difference! I had no idea this stove could throw so much heat! It must have been on mode "A" since I got it.
Thanks smokeythebear for the idea to check it. Just in time too it is -14F here tonight. I have only heard it make the "noise" once since I fired it back up about 7-8 hours ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Tonya

Form other posts on here it appears that the controller reverts to A mode. It always pays to check that these things are operating in the correct mode.

I don't know if Mike Holten has been reading the forum much lately but if he reads this maybe he'll shed some light on what causes the controller to revert to A mode.

Keep warm Tonya, we are supposed to get hit tonight and a storm is supposed to shape up for the middle of this weak, oh joy.

Smokey, do you have more details on how to change the setting. I plug the unit in hold the blower up and down buttons. What's strange is that the reading appears on the feed rate setting. Mine was reset to a then I use the feed rate up or down to change the setting to c. Anything after that to lock the c in or just hit the on button to turn it on?

burnit said:
Smokey, do you have more details on how to change the setting. I plug the unit in hold the blower up and down buttons. What's strange is that the reading appears on the feed rate setting. Mine was reset to a then I use the feed rate up or down to change the setting to c. Anything after that to lock the c in or just hit the on button to turn it on?

I don't know, I suspect that when you change it and hit on it gets locked then. I haven't gotten my paws on one to play with. I have looked several England units over looking for things that could cause problems with air flows.

SmokeyTheBear said:
burnit said:

I don't know, I suspect that when you change it and hit on it gets locked then. I haven't gotten my paws on one to play with. I have looked several England units over looking for things that could cause problems with air flows.

Once you get the setting where you want it, let all the lights go out on the board. It is then "set" and ready to turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.